Just one Ludwig snare

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m late to the Ludwig party. Just got a Supralite yesterday and I looooooove it! This may start my love affair with Ludwig snares.
Congratulations.
I’ve been told the S-lites know how to speak with authority.

Reaction score
My 1976 Acrolite. It's nothing special. It's just a great drum. I can tune that thing for any gig or session and quickly dial it in and get it right where it needs to be. I can also tune it way up or down between songs, if called for. It responds well to both brushes and sticks. I also love the internal muffler on that thing I can adjust with the turn of a dial. I don't have to pull out the t-shirt in my gig bag or mess around with my wallet. I miss that feature on most "modern" snare drums.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20201004_154214 (1).png

My July 1998 Supra. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Can do anything well. Deep and fat, high and tight, and LOUD. Bought in near mint condition back in the days when you could find a bargain on eBay. I'm not sure which is my desert island drum, this or the Slingy in my avatar.

Dan

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1976 Acrolite. It's nothing special. It's just a great drum. I can tune that thing for any gig or session and quickly dial it in and get it right where it needs to be. I can also tune it way up or down between songs, if called for. It responds well to both brushes and sticks. I also love the internal muffler on that thing I can adjust with the turn of a dial. I don't have to pull out the t-shirt in my gig bag or mess around with my wallet. I miss that feature on most "modern" snare drums.
So well said. I feel exactly the same.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I’m late to the Ludwig party. Just got a Supralite yesterday and I looooooove it! This may start my love affair with Ludwig snares.
Ha, same here! :)

Although I didn´t get a Supralite - these are great drums, but I already have three steel snares. So went for a 14x5,5 Black Magic (brass). Damn, what a fabulous snare!
Definitely need another Ludwig in my life. Maybe a Bronze Beauty?
Sorry, I know that´s not what this thread is about but I can´t help it. :-D

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a late 80's I think, Ludwig Supra 6.5x14 and love it. If I was to get another one I believe it would be a 5x14 Black Beauty with gold rims and tube lugs.

sherm

Bushwacker

Reaction score
817224DD-B960-494D-BC63-F1555013B76D.jpeg
So, besides the acrolite, which is very flexible. I’d have to go with this ‘84 bronze. Not as dry as you’d think. But absolutely unique and versatile. Plus, every time I pull it out, I wonder why I put it away.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard for me to pick. 6.5 Black Beauty or the 6.5 Classic Maple Exotics are both incredible

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The one they don't make yet - a deep, 13" Black Beauty. (Not black Magic - but those are cool too).

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Supralite's are Ludwig's appetizers, Lol!! That's where I started. Good luck!!!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A meal can be made of appetizers.
I guess that's a different way of seeing things. I don't know exactly what you meant by that in relation to my post but OK!
I think the point that I was trying to get across was that the Supralite's will be the entry point of getting you to want other Ludwig snares. At least that's what happened to me. I started on a Supralite and also a Ludwig Evolution maple snare and eventually started buying other Ludwig snares.

Last edited:

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new 5x14” Copperphonic has all my favorite qualities of other Ludwig snares. Second is my trusty Acrolite.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
I really like the Chicago factory stuff. Metal choice- 75th Anniversary machine engraved Bronze. Wood
choice- Chrome o wood Coliseum. I just couldn't understand why it took ludwig so long to come out with copper snare drums as well as the 8x14 metal drum size.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a few different Ludwig snare drums.

5" - 2009 Black Beauty

5" - 2009 Supraphonic

6.5" - 2013 Black Beauty

5" - Early 2000s Brass Edition Supraphonic

4" - 1960s Downbeat 3 ply piccolo

6.5 - 2019 Raw Copper Phonic

I've likely owned another ten or so Ludwig snare drums that have come and gone over the years.

My favorite out them all is my 5" Black Beauty. These days it is set up where my current band rehearses every Sunday afternoon.

Last edited: