Just ordered up some Broadkasters.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So after some very brief hesitancy, I ordered up a new set of Broadkasters. 24x14, 13x9, 16x16. Satin natural finish. Batter & Reso mufflers all around, 302 hoops, rail mount with single L arm(new style, not the clip) and direct shell mounted tom bracket.

My only hesitation is that they will be similar to my Ludwig Legacy Mahogany kit. I know the shell construction is different between Gretsch and Ludwig, no re rings and slightly different edges. The 302 hoops vs wood hoops on the Legacy. Sizes are similar, okay sizes are almost identical. 22x14, 13x9, 16x16 Legacy vs the 24x14, 13x9, 16x16 BKs. ( I know, I know..) I love the bigger sizes, and I love round edges. I've had smaller sizes in the past and it's not my favorite sound while playing. I don't gig at all anymore so both kits are for just for me, potential lack of versatility of owning both these kits were not factored into the equation. At all. Both kits are often compared to each other but I think there is enough differences to make it noticeable.

Now that I have officially went down the vintage style 3 ply rabbit hole, my DW SSC maples are going on the chopping block to make room, and fund this endeavor. As I said previously, I don't gig so versatility be damned!! The waiting time is 3-6 months for the BK's. I can guarantee waiting for a new drum kit won't make an already long Canadian winter seem any shorter!!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So after some very brief hesitancy, I ordered up a new set of Broadkasters. 24x14, 13x9, 16x16. Satin natural finish. Batter & Reso mufflers all around, 302 hoops, rail mount with single L arm(new style, not the clip) and direct shell mounted tom bracket.

My only hesitation is that they will be similar to my Ludwig Legacy Mahogany kit. I know the shell construction is different between Gretsch and Ludwig, no re rings and slightly different edges. The 302 hoops vs wood hoops on the Legacy. Sizes are similar, okay sizes are almost identical. 22x14, 13x9, 16x16 Legacy vs the 24x14, 13x9, 16x16 BKs. ( I know, I know..) I love the bigger sizes, and I love round edges. I've had smaller sizes in the past and it's not my favorite sound while playing. I don't gig at all anymore so both kits are for just for me, potential lack of versatility of owning both these kits were not factored into the equation. At all. Both kits are often compared to each other but I think there is enough differences to make it noticeable.

Now that I have officially went down the vintage style 3 ply rabbit hole, my DW SSC maples are going on the chopping block to make room, and fund this endeavor. As I said previously, I don't gig so versatility be damned!! The waiting time is 3-6 months for the BK's. I can guarantee waiting for a new drum kit won't make an already long Canadian winter seem any shorter!!
Well done. This has been my game plan for the past few years. I don’t gig either and want to buy nice new things to hit and pay for them by selling off slightly older nice things to hit that I know will sell at a good price. Congrats!

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Well done. This has been my game plan for the past few years. I don’t gig either and want to buy nice new things to hit and pay for them by selling off slightly older nice things to hit that I know will sell at a good price. Congrats!
Thank you.
Yea, the drum room has been a revolving door over several years. Buy this, sell that, trade this, keep that. Vintage, modern, new, old.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations fellow Canadian on the Broadkaster purchase . Like yourself , I have a new Gretsch kit on order (USA Custom) and I went back and forth between deciding on the USA Custom or Broadkaster . I eventually decided on the USA Custom and even considered as late as last week to change my order to a Broadkaster . I eventually kept my USA Custom order going . You will love the Broadkaster . Where did you order from ?

Last edited:

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Congratulations fellow Canadian on the Broadkaster purchase . Like yourself , I have a new Gretsch kit on order (USA Custom) and I went back and forth between deciding on the USA Custom or Broadkaster . I eventually decided on the USA Custom and even considered as late as last eeek to change my order to a Broadkaster . I eventually kept my USA Custom order going . You will love the Broadkaster . Where did you order from ?
Thank you! And congratulations on the USA's as well. It's always a tough decision, then another tough few weeks after ordering wondering if you made the right choice. I ordered from Daves Drum Shop in Ontario. I live in Alberta, any drum shop besides Long&McQuaid is hard to come by!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats on the new tubs and welcome to the club. BKs are awesome drums, I got a set in the exact same sizes. I bought my other set off of Dave's drum shop (vintage Rogers) and have nothing but nice things to say about him.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
So the Broadkasters finally showed up! They are absolutely thunderous. Even tuned low the tone is unreal. Stock permatones sound great, but I'll eventually swap them for some coated emperors. Fit and finish is top notch. This is the first Gretsch kit I've owned, although I've played a few sets along the way. Having spent just a few hours with them, I can see what all the hype is about.
20220611_161146.jpg
20220611_161134.jpg
20220611_161053.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So the Broadkasters finally showed up! They are absolutely thunderous. Even tuned low the tone is unreal. Stock permatones sound great, but I'll eventually swap them for some coated emperors. Fit and finish is top notch. This is the first Gretsch kit I've owned, although I've played a few sets along the way. Having spent just a few hours with them, I can see what all the hype is about. View attachment 564812 View attachment 564813 View attachment 564814
I'm usually more naturally inclined towards vintage wraps but dang these look great. Bet they sound the part too. Congrats on the buy and post clips if and when you can.