Just picked up my first WFL!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I met a young music teacher who was cleaning out some closets and asked if I could have a look at the percussion equipment. She said that if I came out to the school and helped her organize and price everything, she would give me $100 off of whatever I wanted along with getting first dibs.
Sounded like a fun way to spend a couple hours to me, so I went out to the school this morning and helped her out.

Ended up coming home with a cool, old deep dish WFL snare.
It needs a strainer, a tension rod, a screw for the butt plate and heads. But other than that it's complete (I think).
The top hoop has a slight dent in the top and both of the snare gates on the bottom hoop are bent. No tone control. The lugs appear to be in beautiful shape. No scratching or pitting.
All-in-all, not that bad of a drum for $50.

I think this was silver sparkle. 3 plies. Edges look to be in nice shape, smooth and waxed, actually. Craftsmanship is pretty nice aside from a lot of glue all over the place on the interior. There's writing in two places on the shell but neither look like date stamps to me.

I have a few questions for ya'll.

These are brass hoops, right?

How close to new does Nickel polish up to compared to chrome? Sometimes I find a drum with chrome hardware that looks fine, but then once it's been cleaned and polished, it shines almost like new. Does nickel do that, or does it always have a hazy look once it's tarnished?

What kind of strainer came on this thing? What's the third hole for?

Thanks for the help and I should have this up and running in no time!

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They usually used chalk to write the drum size inside the shell, and sometimes a letter or initials. While all the shells I have had have been mahogany, yours looks maple.

1955-58 Ray McKinley model snare. the throw was changed from the P87 WFL Classic Strainer to a P83 most likely, as it has different hole spacing.

Yes, It would NOB hardware. the snare drop gates are a dead giveaway, although it all was NOB or COB then.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice. Now don't mess it up ;)..It's a future classic work horse add parts don't go replacing those rims
+ ( nickle don't need to shine to be..awesome : )

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice. Now don't mess it up ;)..It's a future classic work horse add parts don't go replacing those rims
+ nickle don't need to shine to be..awesome : )
I won't! Haha. I'm excited about the hoops. Aren't these the hoops that you speak so highly of?

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
the whole deal is swell...looks like you need some tension rods...
~ what else was in their closet any cymbals, vintage sticks..

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
3ply mahogany with maple rings, probably a School Concert model, what's the actual size?
Original strainer was probably a p-83, that other hole is non-original.
NOB hardware, nickel can gleam almost like chrome after enough semichrome polish & elbow grease but it has a warmer hue to the eye, personally, I much prefer polished nickel over common chrome plating.

I love the tonality of these old WFL mahogany snares.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the whole deal is swell...looks like you need some tension rods...
~ what else was in their closet any cymbals, vintage sticks..
No sticks.
Most of it was beginner crap from the 90's on.
She had some super beautiful percussion equipment that I wasn't really interested in. She also "knew" the value of those things. Like, a marimba, Zildjian gong (for $2000), xylophone, glockenspiel, a pair of ZMAC's, a Sabian China that sounded pretty ok. Or and a blackrolite.
Mainly just aside from that. I was hoping for a bigger haul today, really.

Reactions: JDA

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
3ply mahogany with maple rings, probably an Auditorium model or Concert model, what's the actual size?
NOB hardware, nickel can gleam almost like chrome after enough semichrome polish & elbow grease but it has a warmer hue to the eye, personally, I much prefer polished nickel over common chrome plating.

Oh man. I'm so excited to play it. Ever put 30+ strand wires on one? Or should I stick with 20? More wires would probably choke some of the tone out of it...

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They usually used chalk to write the drum size inside the shell, and sometimes a letter or initials. While all the shells I have had have been mahogany, yours looks maple.

1955-58 Ray McKinley model snare. the throw was changed from the P87 WFL Classic Strainer to a P83 most likely, as it has different hole spacing.

Yes, It would NOB hardware. the snare drop gates are a dead giveaway, although it all was NOB or COB then.

Did P-87's suck or something? Prone to breaking? Not sure which direction to go. Something nickel, to match.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
3ply mahogany with maple rings, probably an Auditorium model or Concert model, what's the actual size?

6.5x14

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
better show a pic, of each exterior panel, so those knowledgable here, can assess which strainer and all other details , that went with this drum.
Show the panel where the throw off, the butt, the muffler or anything else...went......

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
You guys and these "cleaned out closets" that you find in schools etc.., Lol!!
Lucky finds!!
Nice, congratulations!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
better show a pic, of each exterior panel, so those knowledgable here, can assess which strainer and all other details , that went with this drum.
Show the panel where the throw off, the butt, the muffler or anything else...went......
Ok.

IMG_20200721_161857584.jpg
IMG_20200721_161852702.jpg
IMG_20200721_161847675.jpg
IMG_20200721_161842182.jpg
IMG_20200721_161826784.jpg
IMG_20200721_161832778.jpg
IMG_20200721_151329268.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking at it from here, the top bearing edge is a little wavy. I wonder if it's going to affect the sound...

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really nice snare! Something like this.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Looking at it from here, the top bearing edge is a little wavy. I wonder if it's going to affect the sound...
you could do a few things... a REALLY light sanding maybe... 600 grit, or check it on a counter to see how bad it is. You could use some butchers wax on the edges as well. Or if it's really bad use a natural head which will take to the shape and also sound fantastic.

Latest posts