Just picked up my first WFL!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you could do a few things... a REALLY light sanding maybe... 600 grit, or check it on a counter to see how bad it is. You could use some butchers wax on the edges as well. Or if it's really bad use a natural head which will take to the shape and also sound fantastic.
Great man!
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

It's really not good. Huge dip/wave. Maybe it will tune up well, who knows. Gotta wait and see. If it doesn't, I don't see a reason to not have them re-cut?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a feeling this drum is going to look sweet with my Slingerlands. They still have a ginger-aled, gold sparkle inlay. A snare that matches the inlay on the bass hoops is cool to me. Somebody around here did it and it looked awesome.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Really nice snare! Something like this.

Like that, but nickel plated would be appropriate.

Thing is, I'd throw on a $20 P-85 before I'd give ol' Ned over 75 bucks for that one.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like that, but nickel plated would be appropriate.

Thing is, I'd throw on a $20 P-85 before I'd give ol' Ned over 75 bucks for that one.
Ooh. That's a great idea. Must be same hole-spacing, eh? Maybe I'll do that, it would probably speed this entire process up a bit.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(stop it_ ; )
(Don't get ahead of your self My friend..)
it's only original once even if it had a parking lot fender bender) / see how it sounds/ later
But I mean, c'mon. The whole thing rocks back and forth. Lots of travel. It actually reminds me of Inde's infinity snare bed... Except it's the batter side :)

Kinda hard to get a picture of...

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
maybe you're looking at it upside down and its the snare beds.... (;;;; ////
-
You haven't to my knowledge played the drum yet
so until...
that doesn't look too bad/ hold your pants on
~
Surprised that drum didn't have the other strainer the upside down "T" one Classic or something
~
must be this 1957/ one here the 912P

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've found some decent stuff in schools. It's pretty rare to find something extremely valuable (although I did find a WMP wood Dynasonic once), but there's a lot of "meat and potatoes" stuff out there, like Supraphonics and Acrolites. I've been able to trade repair for some of their surplus equipment.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Vibes

Reaction score
Nice drum. I would just clean it up , put the less expensive throw on it some wires and see how it sounds . It will probably sound great, and no need to do anything to it.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
You’re gonna dig it!
Just drops mojo. I’ve got a ‘58 that’s my forever snare. Just the sound I hear in my head for a snare....
mines running plain generic snare wires, Fiberskyn batter, Dip reso.
And yes, I prefer nickel to chrome....

kevin klever

Reaction score
I've had a few WFL and Ludwig snares with pretty messed up bearing edges that sounded great and tuned up without much extra effort. The big fat bearing edges seem to be much more forgiving than modern thin 45 edges, or Gretsch edges from the same era. This will probably sound fantastic. Pretty sure a brand new P85 from guitar centre will fit in those holes. I did it on two WFL pioneers that had toasted throwoffs. Really nothing sounds like a 6.5 WFL, you're going to love it.

Latest posts