Just picked up my first WFL!

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
This drum orignally had WFL Classic strainer (there are 2 slightly different mountings...earlier used the threaded rod as top mounting hole, later used separate hole for top). Since appears already drilled for p-83/85, it wouldnt be a sin to use one of those....BUT, if no other issues besides one extra hole, might seek out the appropriate strainer (just dont get your hopes up of getting a decent one for 20 or 30 bucks).

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
With that badge I am thinking maybe 1956-57? Sometimes the date can be hard to read as it was done in red ink and it's usually on the inside panel near the badge hole. Over the years the red ink tends to lighten up. Not every drum was stamped of course so you may have already done all that. By the 60's Ludwig moved the date location so it could be read through the badge hole. Cool drum!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This drum orignally had WFL Classic strainer (there are 2 slightly different mountings...earlier used the threaded rod as top mounting hole, later used separate hole for top). Since appears already drilled for p-83/85, it wouldnt be a sin to use one of those....BUT, if no other issues besides one extra hole, might seek out the appropriate strainer (just dont get your hopes up of getting a decent one for 20 or 30 bucks).
Is that strainer dependable? Is it worth putting on? Or will it break somehow?

Rallaei

Reaction score

I have one (+ 2 others..) kinda like that yours.. Great drums!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Is that strainer dependable? Is it worth putting on? Or will it break somehow?
The Classic p-87 throwoffs work okay if complete and in good condition but your drum would require the nickel plated version to be period correct. Ned from Vintage Drum Center appears to have a couple but they're chrome....and rather expensive.

If your drum is indeed the Ray McKinley model (as noted by Rotarded on page 1) then the Classic P-87 in nickel is what you need, but keep in mind the appropriate Ludwig 18-strand wireset for that throwoff is 14-3/8" from end to end & both tabs have 3 holes. I use the Pearl 20-strand extended wireset with my p-87 and they work fine if you drill a screw hole into the end tab.

This listing is for illustration only to view the wireset -I'd never recommend this particular seller for anything.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Classic p-87 throwoffs work okay if complete and in good condition but your drum would require the nickel plated version to be period correct. Ned from Vintage Drum Center appears to have a couple but they're chrome....and rather expensive.

If your drum is indeed the Ray McKinley model (as noted by Rotarded on page 1) then the Classic P-87 in nickel is what you need, but keep in mind the appropriate Ludwig 18-strand wireset for that throwoff is 14-3/8" from end to end & both tabs have 3 holes. I use the Pearl 20-strand extended wireset with my p-87 and they work fine if you drill a screw hole into the end tab.

This listing is for illustration only to view the wireset -I'd never recommend this particular seller for anything.
Yeah. I would never do business with them.

I think that I'd rather not screw around with the specialty wires and what not. Maybe a more simple Ludwig/WFL strainer is in order.

musicman64

Reaction score

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's some shots of mine...great sounding drums
Is that chrome? What year?

Does it look to you guys like somebody swapped the butt when they swapped the strainer? Are they both the same hole pattern?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
let's go ; ) get this drum on the road no one expects a band room snare drum find to be perfect

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm always right except for that one time I thought I wasn't..
ba doom tssh

they don't make em like us anymore Sinc.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jeeze Louise, calm it down there fella. I'm working on it. Bought some new heads today.

I think I might just get some modern snares...

musicman64

Reaction score
Is that chrome? What year?

Does it look to you guys like somebody swapped the butt when they swapped the strainer? Are they both the same hole pattern?
Only the strainer /butt and rods are magnetic. Hoops and lugs are not. I think it's a 902P, 1948-1952. Possibly a Ray McKinley/Symphonic model, as it has a big "S" in pencil inside it. It also has 1 hole above the current strainer, and does not have a muffler... I got it like it is...so I don't know the history. Sounds good though

Last edited:

jaymandude

Reaction score
Jeeze Louise, calm it down there fella. I'm working on it. Bought some new heads today.

I think I might just get some modern snares...
I bought Canopus 12 or 16’s recently for a Ludwig Downbeat. Can’t remember and I’m not at home right now :)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's going to look so sweet with my Slingies (which currently have curing polyurethane on them, should be ready for buffing in 6 days.) because the wrap will match the inlay on the bass hoops. BUT. I just polished all of the chrome on them. All of the tarnish and patina may look a bit out of place...

Thinking about a total teardown, soak and polish...

Latest posts