Just received Rob Cook's Rogers book from Amazon

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jollity Drum Farm has three full colour pages .... and shots of my first real bass pedal - The Rogers Rocket . I was beginning to wonder if it actually existed .

I am now the proud owner of The Gretsch , Ludwig, Slingerland and Rogers books . Nice way to start Jan 14 2020 .

A belated Christmas present from the angel I am blessed to call my wife .

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your wife did well with the purchase of the second edition of that book. The first run didn't have the middle color pages. If I knew the book was going to be out there so much I wouldn't have taken the pics of all the purple drums with a pink back drop. I wanted a clean picture and used my sister pink bed to take the pics. Also you can see all the variations of blue strata from clear to not so translucent sections. The only blue strata I have left from that pic is the deep one at the end. It has a darker finish than the others but I kept the 6.5. Sold over the years most of the collection in those color pages except for the purple. I'd consider selling that last blue strata if anyone is interested. Enjoy the book. Glad it brought you back to your youth with that rocket pedal pic.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a fine book, Benny. I've been enjoying mine for years.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your wife did well with the purchase of the second edition of that book. The first run didn't have the middle color pages. If I knew the book was going to be out there so much I wouldn't have taken the pics of all the purple drums with a pink back drop. I wanted a clean picture and used my sister pink bed to take the pics. Also you can see all the variations of blue strata from clear to not so translucent sections. The only blue strata I have left from that pic is the deep one at the end. It has a darker finish than the others but I kept the 6.5. Sold over the years most of the collection in those color pages except for the purple. I'd consider selling that last blue strata if anyone is interested. Enjoy the book. Glad it brought you back to your youth with that rocket pedal pic.

So you're GN from NJ ? very cool to meecha .

Thank you

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry for being late to the party. Did you write those books?
Or supply photos?

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Benny, Nice to meet you as well. Yes from Jersey. Guilty.

DB, I helped Rob out with some photos. When he was in NJ to interview somebody from the later era of Rogers we went to a diner for a pizza burger after seeing my collection of purple drums to prove that it does exist. I was working on my own book about 10 yrs after and got caught in other earlier Thompson inventions but added an article on line about them see link:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, Gramps is GN from Jersey! I'm proud to be the current caretaker of some of his "castoffs," which are, indeed, superb drums!

If 'ol Gramps wasn't such a nice guy, I'd call him a Rogers drums hoarder, only because he has them, and I don't... :)

gkrk

Reaction score
I've got copy 101 of the original 400, 1999 printing, with Rob's signature and a little personal note thanking me for my continued support. I've often thought of getting the updated editions of this and the Slingerland book (I've got 102 of 400, first printing, again with Rob's signature) but the internet kicked in pretty hard after that, so there's so much information and photos available that I just haven't gotten to it. Rob signed one or two others I got directly from him way back then.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. I feel lucky to be able to chat with you fellas. I know I probably say it too much, but thanks for sharing your knowledge guys!

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I might just turn it into a web site. I had the early info on 1938-1954 on the VSD web site but had it pulled because of all the changes Dave would have to make to be correct- I was still learning. I don't want to put info out there for info sake. It must be concrete correct. A book would be nice...It sits now as a microsoft word doc at about 744 pages. A color book double sided would be 372 pages. Very costly for a few hundred potentially to be sold. I placed the bar high on this 10 yr project. I put a lot of pressure on myself about it. Would be nice to release the pressure some day. Feel like I'm letting some important people down to me like Jeff H., Dave Simms and all those that want to see another Rogers book out there.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got the first edition of The Rogers Book. Looks like it's time to get the Second Edition! It's been in my eBay "watch list" for months, but just never pulled the trigger!

-Mark

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
YES! Buy Robs second edition book. The color mid section alone is worth the price. Bruces collection of Dynas and Maxwells collection of Dynas. That purple color too!

I'm sitting on un seen/published pics from the early days of Rogers in OH. Also some pics Betty Ann(little girl on the cover of the flutophone book(Joe Thompsons niece) gave to me when I went to interview Roland Davidson.

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I might just turn it into a web site. I had the early info on 1938-1954 on the VSD web site but had it pulled because of all the changes Dave would have to make to be correct- I was still learning. I don't want to put info out there for info sake. It must be concrete correct. A book would be nice...It sits now as a microsoft word doc at about 744 pages. A color book double sided would be 372 pages. Very costly for a few hundred potentially to be sold. I placed the bar high on this 10 yr project. I put a lot of pressure on myself about it. Would be nice to release the pressure some day. Feel like I'm letting some important people down to me like Jeff H., Dave Simms and all those that want to see another Rogers book out there.
Count me in, Gary!

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a new book would be a worthwhile project- it would be more labor of love than profit maker- but in today's day and age of lowered printing costs and digital layouts it would be far easier and cheaper to produce than ever. It would probably take years to break even- but I do think there is enough of a worldwide interest to do so.

The key would be to hook up with enough collectors and a competent photographer in order to have as many quality photos of rare and NM pieces as possible. The issue with most "collectibles" books is the photography is usually a huge let down. The Drum version of "Geddy Lee's Big Book of Bass" needs to be done.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Just looking at the Bruce Felter Collection picture. Bruce told me that that box on the bottom right had never been opened. COB Dyna, I believe. He may have had more than one unopened Dyna box. One of our members was helping his wife and family sell the collection. Wonder how that went? Ace