Just returned a DW9000 hi hat stand I was severely disappointed in. What's the best hi hat stand I can go buy new today?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I bought a 9000 2-leg stand and immediately returned it. The stand itself was fine once it was set up, but that was the problem — setting it up took forever due to the stand being so adjustable that I needed a dang level to make sure it was pointing directly upward. During breakdown, you need to loosen 4 (FOUR!) tension rods, and even then, the foot plate doesn't fold flush. Adding to the frustration was the surgical-grade velcro covering the bottom plate, which I didn't know was there, causing me to rip the drum rug out from under my crash stand sending it edge first into the floor. All in all it was a 1/10 experience that I do not recommend.

The store I bought it from mostly had DW and PDP stuff so I couldn't really check anything else out. Anything awesome out there? I have a tama leverglide thing that I've loved forever, but now that I have a second kit I wanted to try something else.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Trick hi hat stand has one lever that folds up the footboard and one fat wingnut for each leg. It's not cheap but it feels surgical under the foot.
IMAG1295.jpg

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama and Yamaha are tops IMO. Basically any of Yamaha’s models are bulletproof and simple. I happen to like the Tama Classic hihat, but it might not be rugged enough for some players.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of high end, nearly new, "modern" DW and Tama 2 legged stands....and quickly disposed of them. 3 legs is fine. And I've had better luck with 1980's Yamaha or Tama hi hat stands. Of those two, I like the Yamaha 800 and 900 the best. And you can find them for $35-$65 each. I've owned a number of them. Best of the 2 leggers I've had was a 1990s DW 5000...yet it wobbled too much on carpet.

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why not get the 3-legged 9000?
Well, for starters, the aforementioned footplate folding issues were kind of a dealbreaker. Plus putting the spikes in the middle seemed silly when Tama puts extendable spikes in the legs (which is the right place to do that, since you adjust the leg height just by unfolding them). I dunno, there was just so many things that seemed...wrong...for such an expensive thing that I'd planned on keeping for a couple decades.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
See now that's interesting. Seems kinda...foolproof? Which would be helpful for us fools.

Is that the HH1 Pro 1-V ?
Yes, it is built like a tank and the long footboard is quite nice for heel splashes. You can remove the legs entirely if you ever want. The only downside that I can think of is that you need a key to collapse the tube. Other than that, this thing is insane.

Last edited:

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is built like a tank and the long footboard is quite nice for heel splashes. You can remove the legs entirely if you ever want. Then only downside that I cant think of is that you need a key to collapse the tube. Other than that, this thing is insane.
Does the footplate collapse all the way? I watched a video and it didn't seem to

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I can second the posts promoting the Tama stand. I love mine.

But if you want something new, check out the Mapex Falcon stand. 2 legged and they are removable. Nice piece of hardware from what I understand, though I have never had the opportunity to use one.

drumnhands

Reaction score
The Yamaha HS-1200T is really nice. With the toggle drive the spring tension tightens slightly as the pedal is depressed, makes it great for splashes and more complex hi hat stuff. The HS-1200D is the direct drive version if you prefer a traditional feel.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I got the Yamaha HS1100 when it came out about fifteen years ago and still using it. Great stand, built like a tank and smooth as silk.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, I recently got the DW5000 two legger and I'm OK with it but I don't collapse the foot board, I just leave it as is and put in my hardware case. I had a Tama IC whose middle rod stripped out. I was stuck. Bought the DW our of default. The stripped middle rod is what swayed my from getting another Tama. Too bad as I loved the thing.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Not the best but I’m very happy with my old flat base Gibraltar. No bells or whistles.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Unless you really, really need a two-legger, go with three. The engineering (and weight) required to prevent them from being wobbly isn't worth it. Even then, most still wobble just a little (which drives me nuts). The only necessity for just two-legs is multiple -- beyond just a double -- pedals.
I've got an old Ludwig from the sixties that works fine, is rock solid, and probably weighs a tenth of that DW monster.

Just like this one.

JBernie

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Gibraltar 9600 Liquid Glide 2-leg stand that I’ve have for 5-6 years and I love it. Probably doesn’t fold up like you’d want. But has to better than that DW. Not sure if they’re still available.