"Just right" snare/head combos!

katulu

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's always a joyous day when one finds the "just right" head/snare wire combo for a particular snare and one's taste. Was curious to see some of everyone's discoveries. Here are some of mine:

Pork Pie Pig Iron 14x6.5 + Ebony Suede Emperor batter + Puresound Equalizer 16 strand: Ebony Emperor quieted down quite pronounced dissonant overtones, the split Equalizers gave a more measured snare response since this snare really accentuates snare sound in the upper range.

Ludwig Keystone X 14x8 + Coated Diplomat batter + Puresound 16 strand wires: I went through several heads and could not get something pleasant for my taste until I tried the Diplomat. Solved. Also, the standard Ludwig wires sounded too scratchy for this snare, the Puresound 16's fit perfectly.

Gretsch Hammered Steel 14x8 + Evans ST Dry batter + stock wires + high tuning!: Never liked the sound of this with a G1, but the ST Dry in high tuning changed it completely. Pure pop, overtones in the background where they belong.

Any magic combos you have found?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slingerland Sound King- coated black dot over hazy ambassador, fat without killing the brass overtones

Rogers Powertone- Vintage A over hazy ambassador- stronger fundamental without loss of sensitivity

5” supra- coated ambassador over hazy ambassador- generic in a good way

Slingerland steel Festival- absolutely beat to hell ambassador over rennaisance- evens off some of the harsher steel overtones without the loss of sensitivity of a premuffled head

All other snares subject to head swaps on a regular basis, but these ones are pretty fixed

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Ludwig supraphonic 6.5x14: coated CS over ambassador hazy. Clears up some of the unwanted overtones without any dampening.

Ludwig black beauty 6.5x14: Coated emperor over ambassador hazy. Pretty standard set up but it works well.

N&C solid beech 7x14: Coated ambassador over ambassador hazy. Good response, clear sound.