Just Scored this - jazzfest? *Update*

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Re: Just Scored this - jazzfest?

Hmmm? Looks like the equivalent of a Jazz Fest in that it's 8 lugs on a 3 ply shell...however the color is an oddity. That's not a typical Ludwig wrap. However they did use a similar wrap on the standard line (which used the same 3 ply shell). Sooo....rewrapped Jazz Festival? A wood Standard snare with the lugs swapped out to Bowties? Or some sort of custom order since they did have that wrap within the factory? 'tis a puzzler. Can't see a badge.

The BB muffler leads me more towards it being a re-wrapped Jazzfest. A wood Standard with the lugs swapped would essentially be the same thing as a Jazzfest.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the guy said it's been re-wrapped to match a yellow satin flame slingerland kit it came with. You can see the air hole on the inside and the muffler looks like red felt (at least to my eyes) - the badge was most likely replaced or covered over when the new wrap was applied. I wonder if it's been wrapped over the original finish? that would be cool - especially if it's black oyster!!! :p

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

If you know it's a rewrap then yeah that's a Jazz Festival snare (in Slingerland clothing).

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score

if its a red felt muffler thats original, then it would be prior to mid 65 most likely.

mike

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score

by the way,nice score on that. i would say rewrapped jazzer. looks like the original snare wires 18 strand that lots of jazzfests have as well. :)

mike

dead_head

Since DCI
Reaction score

for what you paid for it, you stole it if it is indeed a jazzfest. Got any interior pics?

Nice score..

I am not all that familiar with Ludwig drums. What I do know is that the Satin Flame wrap is quite random in patterns that shift when viewed from different angles. The Aztec wrap used for Ludwig Standards is a more definite pattern of wavy lines. So, I would say that your Ludwig drum was re-wrapped in Satin Flame (Moire for Camco) that several manfacturers used. The main thing is that it looks as though you got a nice drum for a good price. And, it looks good as is.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Cheers guys, i'll post some more info once it turns up. Dead head - click the auction link and scroll down to the pictures, there are a few of the inside there.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, drum turned up yesterday and came with an old WFL snare stand which was a cool surprise. It's a jazz festival alright and has red felt muffler so possibly pre-65? Looks to be in pretty good shape overall with all it's parts except badge. Our own Dana hooked me up with a pre-serial keystone badge which should go rather nicely with this drums age. One odd thing is the hoops that look original but the top one is COB and the bottom one COS – is there anyway it could have come from the factory like this? I pulled away the non-original wrap which is easy to remove and found the drum was originally a red sparkle finish. I intend to re-finish it in 60's black oyster to go with my downbeat kit but after seeing the green sparkle jazz fest in Mikes post i'm not so sure. Any suggestions?
http://imageshack.us

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
good deal. thats a jazzer for sure. i have seen some with that hoop setup. towards the end of the red bat era in late 64 and early 65 they were starting to transition to steel hoops. very possible to have gotten one of each.nice drum.

mike

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the hoops look the same so could be factory. Any suggestions on color to re-wrap?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
you dont need it to match any particular sets that you already have?
if not, the green sparkle you mentioned would be a beauty.

mike

Latest posts