Just signed up... Lefthanded drummer here...

ButchA

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

I stumbled on this forum and realized that it is one of the better ones I have seen. I am primarily a horn player, guitarist, keyboardist, and can play drums as well. What's odd is all my gear is naturally righthanded, but yet when I play drums, I play Lefty, like Phil Collins, Ian Paice (Deep Purple), etc... It's just how it worked and how I got taught back in the 70's in high school.

Butch

P.S. I used to own an old Slingerland acoustic 4 piece kit, that everyone remembers from back in the day. However today, after many many decades, not to mention my wife of 35 years wanting piece and quiet, I have a basic, Alesis Nitro Mesh electronic kit. After trial and error, tearing it back down, contacting Alesis, I had to reverse two of the frame pieces, and remount everything Lefty, and it worked! Not a bad little E-drum kit for the money, especially when plugged into a 50 watt guitar amp!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Underneath a car and at the drum kit are two of the rare times I wish I was left handed. I actually set up my kit left handed once, trying to get the full open handed experience. The hands loved it but the feet were not impressed. My recommendation for any lefty is play open handed! IMO it's the most logical way to play the drums. The rest of us are either left dealing with traditions left over from rope tuned drum days or playing twister from the waist up to emulate predecessors methods of dealing with the traditions imposed upon them.

ButchA

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, if you have around 4 minutes to spare... One of my YouTube videos below might explain things better. I sound like a goofball, but, it is what it is. I'm lefthanded with this, but then I'm righthanded with that, etc...

Edit: No formal training with drums - ever... Just a high school buddy teaching me back in 70's when we had a rock band. I can read, write, and compose sheet music on common band instruments and piano. But reading percussion music scores? I'm like... what?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Butch and welcome, glad you got in....( he was having a log in problem, we found the glitch)

Ben

Ralph27

Reaction score
Welcome! Lots of great people, advice and information here!
PS I'm lefty but have always played right handed. Go figure

ButchA

Reaction score
Welcome! Lots of great people, advice and information here!
PS I'm lefty but have always played right handed. Go figure
Thank you.... It's a bit tricky with E-drums when assembling the kit Lefty. Unlike normal acoustic kits, you just flip the two tom mounts around, and put the snare & highhat where the floor tom is and the floor tom where the highhat would be.

With E-drums, you have to carefully read and re-read the assembly instructions (I actually contacted Alesis!) because two of the main support frames have to be reversed. The big wiring cable assembly isn't bad, as it's color coded and labeled. You just re-run it through and snake it around backwards the other way, and it works!

Zapruder1337

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, if you have around 4 minutes to spare... One of my YouTube videos below might explain things better. I sound like a goofball, but, it is what it is. I'm lefthanded with this, but then I'm righthanded with that, etc...

Edit: No formal training with drums - ever... Just a high school buddy teaching me back in 70's when we had a rock band. I can read, write, and compose sheet music on common band instruments and piano. But reading percussion music scores? I'm like... what?
Go to drumeo website and buy the 7 dollar beginners package. Trust me it's worth it just for notation/ theory segment. I'm also a lefty WHO PLAYS LEFTY setup kit. I honestly dont get why it's such a big deal? Ppl string guitars upside down to play lefty, and teachers they get lessons dont make em play righty.
You know you'd think someone your paying for lessons who preaches being ambidextrous on the kit regardless wouldn't throw a hussy fit cuz you play lefty. Your the teacher, your supposed to be making the student get/feel comfortable with playing drums. Sorry about the rant there man haha

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you.... It's a bit tricky with E-drums when assembling the kit Lefty. Unlike normal acoustic kits, you just flip the two tom mounts around, and put the snare & highhat where the floor tom is and the floor tom where the highhat would be.

With E-drums, you have to carefully read and re-read the assembly instructions (I actually contacted Alesis!) because two of the main support frames have to be reversed. The big wiring cable assembly isn't bad, as it's color coded and labeled. You just re-run it through and snake it around backwards the other way, and it works!
Ive played righty ekits at churches.
1,switch hh pedal and bassdrum tower
2,unplug and Switch fltm cords with snare pad.
Leave hh pedal in the position its in and play it open handed! Enjoy!
Easy

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

I stumbled on this forum and realized that it is one of the better ones I have seen. I am primarily a horn player, guitarist, keyboardist, and can play drums as well. What's odd is all my gear is naturally righthanded, but yet when I play drums, I play Lefty, like Phil Collins, Ian Paice (Deep Purple), etc... It's just how it worked and how I got taught back in the 70's in high school.

Butch

P.S. I used to own an old Slingerland acoustic 4 piece kit, that everyone remembers from back in the day. However today, after many many decades, not to mention my wife of 35 years wanting piece and quiet, I have a basic, Alesis Nitro Mesh electronic kit. After trial and error, tearing it back down, contacting Alesis, I had to reverse two of the frame pieces, and remount everything Lefty, and it worked! Not a bad little E-drum kit for the money, especially when plugged into a 50 watt guitar amp!
A horn player who can play like Phil Collins and Ian Paice? Impressive! ;)

ButchA

Reaction score
Go to drumeo website and buy the 7 dollar beginners package. Trust me it's worth it just for notation/ theory segment. I'm also a lefty WHO PLAYS LEFTY setup kit. I honestly dont get why it's such a big deal? Ppl string guitars upside down to play lefty, and teachers they get lessons dont make em play righty.
You know you'd think someone your paying for lessons who preaches being ambidextrous on the kit regardless wouldn't throw a hussy fit cuz you play lefty. Your the teacher, your supposed to be making the student get/feel comfortable with playing drums. Sorry about the rant there man haha
Thank you... I've heard of Drumeo but never really checked it out. The computer "brain" of the Alesis (i.e. probably just like Roland, Simmons, etc..) has a built-in tutorial and training sessions with flams, paradiddles, basic rudiments, etc.. It's okay, but I'd prefer learning actual scores and understanding that a cymbal strike is an asterisk ( * ) on the top of the staff.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Same with most of us....Welcome!