Just when you think you’ve seen every kind of overpriced sale listing...

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is shipping from the UK that expensive?
Just asking not judging.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I take it because of the new rules under Brexit?

Here in Europe we now pay 21% + 3% over the total (item plus ship) just like items from any other country outside of the EU.

It put an abrupt stop on purchases from the UK.

Just like from the US, my rule is now. Only if I really can’r get it here and I really need it.

Maybe Reverb tkes this in account now, or the seller is hoping to cover up any extra expenses he might get after ship?

Whitten

Reaction score
I'm in the UK, when I click on the link above and it goes to the Reverb page (Drumazon) it say £5 inc VAT + £10 shipping.
If you are looking at the page from outside the UK it must be that the shipping courier Drumazon uses charges a lot of money for handling and fees.
Maybe Drumazon doesn't want to ship such tiny items around the globe?
Is there nowhere in The States that sells Worldmax tension rods?

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I take it because of the new rules under Brexit?

Here in Europe we now pay 21% + 3% over the total (item plus ship) just like items from any other country outside of the EU.

It put an abrupt stop on purchases from the UK.

Just like from the US, my rule is now. Only if I really can’r get it here and I really need it.

Maybe Reverb tkes this in account now, or the seller is hoping to cover up any extra expenses he might get after ship?

Actually, within the EU, the amount of added VAT depends on the country's own VAT level. For insurance I live in Sweden and if I now order something from UK, it's 25% VAT plus about 3% customs that are added on top of the selling price (including the shipping.)

By the way the shipping from UK to Sweden seems to be about 43€/53$ for these 5 tuning screws. :icon_e_biggrin:
So the total price for me, after VAT and customs are added, would be 61€/73$! Almost 15$ per rod.

I know for a fact that it's a massive pain in the butt at the moment for the sellers to ship from UK, since lots of paperwork is required and it's hard to get info from officials about the current situation.
So maybe that's why the shipping costs are so outrageous, the shop is not really willing to ship and only if someone pays enough, then they'll do it.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, when I click on the link above and it goes to the Reverb page (Drumazon) it say £5 inc VAT + £10 shipping.
If you are looking at the page from outside the UK it must be that the shipping courier Drumazon uses charges a lot of money for handling and fees.
Checked with some other, separate items too (drum head and a snare drum), and shopping to Sweden seems to be the same (about 43€) for all of these items. This indicates that they use one courier service with pre-negotiated prices, and they can't really send any small stuff on envelopes etc.

Whitten

Reaction score
Yes, I would guess that's the case.
There is the facility to 'contact seller'. The guys at Drumazon are nice.
If there was a small item that really couldn't be found elsewhere one could contact them and ask if it could be posted in a small envelope.
Personally, since Brexit, I'm not buying from anywhere outside the UK just until things settle down and dealers/stores work out how to ship affordably.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've almost hit buy it now on some really low priced or very reasonably priced items only to be in total shock when last second I've noticed shipping was way over the top like this one. Sometimes I think its not an error but an ebay mouse trap.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, within the EU, the amount of added VAT depends on the country's own VAT level. For insurance I live in Sweden and if I now order something from UK, it's 25% VAT plus about 3% customs that are added on top of the selling price (including the shipping.)

By the way the shipping from UK to Sweden seems to be about 43€/53$ for these 5 tuning screws. :icon_e_biggrin:
So the total price for me, after VAT and customs are added, would be 61€/73$! Almost 15$ per rod.

I know for a fact that it's a massive pain in the butt at the moment for the sellers to ship from UK, since lots of paperwork is required and it's hard to get info from officials about the current situation.
So maybe that's why the shipping costs are so outrageous, the shop is not really willing to ship and only if someone pays enough, then they'll do it.
This. Paperwork is a pain now for them even more.

Im now in talks with a private instrument shipper that deals with instruments exclusively as I need to have a high value item here.

And indeed. Each country has its own tariff’s. The Dutch ones are 21% taxes + 3% import fees.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I can buy 2 shirts directly from the Cardiff City Football Club and they ship to the USA for around 20 bucks. They also deduct the VAT because it doesn't apply to the USA so it offsets the cost.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The infamous Teardrop lug nut comes to mind

Many parts on Sonor are indeed metric and can be hard to source in the US, but this part is 1/4 inch and 25 cents at Lowe’s or 25 dollars on eBay for the original

Which is just nuts

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I can buy 2 shirts directly from the Cardiff City Football Club and they ship to the USA for around 20 bucks. They also deduct the VAT because it doesn't apply to the USA so it offsets the cost.
Is that different for each state, because many buyers from the US had to pay tax when they bought from me.

The bigger companies probably get discount on their monthly payment.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I'm also seeing $100 shipping on that item. I've bought band shirts from the UK and the shipping was very reasonable. It just took a long time.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that different for each state, because many buyers from the US had to pay tax when they bought from me.

The bigger companies probably get discount on their monthly payment.
I believe that is their general shipping to the USA.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly would expect the shipping to be more reasonable in the UK for a UK based item. But I’ve sent drums and cymbals to Europe recently (not the UK though) for around $100 per box. I would never expect a tiny item like this to cost anywhere near that.

And yes, I can get tension rods domestically. I’m looking for some now so I found these while browsing.