Just won a modded Supra!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well not expecting to have my offer accepted, I just won a modded 14x6.5 Ludwig 402. Was a SS turned to a regular supra.

A trick strainer was added, and needs a bit of a clean up. Is there any way I can use a P85, or the new Ludwig strainer on this? These do have normal beds right?

What can I clean this up with? I've got some metal polish I use on stands, but not sure what to do with this since it's chrome over aluminum. I paid a fairly cheap price for this, not needing another snare at all, but it's a supra!

qg7ez9qb79dpqjsj4skt.jpg

dq0kuyoqk36irafxp40c.jpg

mbiqrje4swkk3wakqedb.jpg

xh5sre6ew5nrddqwkkli.jpg

t3e2mh8an7gcgaznrib2.jpg

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive done a conversion before and if i remember correctly, you will have to drill holes for any Ludwig throwoff on a SS.
Im not totally sure.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Something about a player drum that you didn’t pay much for with a few modern parts thrown on. I’d just clean it up and play the crud out of it, unless you just can’t stand the Trick strainer.
Kinda what I was thinking. Can't be that much of a sound difference from normal. I'm not that much of a Ludwig purist, so it should work fine once it's cleaned up.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking. Can't be that much of a sound difference from normal. I'm not that much of a Ludwig purist, so it should work fine once it's cleaned up.
It’s just like buying a 60s Les Paul that someone added a Floyd Rose to- it definitely detracts from the value and may or may not add to utility, but you have the heart and soul of the instrument for a smaller price than one in perfect shape, provided they didn’t butcher the instrument in question.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never played one of those SS conversions but Supra snare beds are very wide and shallow anyway, so it may not be that big a deal.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You’ll most likely need an adjustable spacing throw like the Inde. Good news is it’s very similar to the new Ludwig, as they were designed by the same guy (Josh at Inde).

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can you make one of your famous one-handed videos of this next to your Sensitone?
I actually used my gopro to do my rosewood shootout hahahaha. If it doesn't sell by the time I get it, absolutely!

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told by several Ludwig people that the shells for the the SS and Supra are the same and just drilled different. So as there is a very shallow bed on a Supra, its the same for the SS. The cost to manufacture is always less when you are able to use the same item. In other words it's cheaper for them to make one type shell than two.......if anyone has info otherwise, please chime in.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For cleaning I'd try the aluminum foil and soapy water combo. The foil is softer then the chrome so it shouldn't scratch it. Then buff the heck out of it with car polish. Check out rdavir on YouTube. He has videos that detail this cleaning method.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll figue it out. But if you don't mind the Trick then leave it.

I don't like them personally but I wouldn't drill new holes for sothething else..

bp350

Reaction score
You can use metal polish to clean it up. I've used Blue Magic metal polish to clean up countless chrome snares and it always works great. It will also help protect the chrome from pitting.