Just won a modded Supra!

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
this brought back memories...my JR year of college there was a beat up snare drum at the local music shop...SS....snares in pieces. I knew enough to take it apart and clean it....I had jack's drum shop in Boston make snares for it (no replacements then...this would be 85 or 6)....I didn't like it and went the supra root....used that drum a lot....sold it...but it was my 1st vintage drum.

Oh yeah...my college housemates and GFs all commented on my restoration project as none of them had ever seen a drum in pieces...

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just arrived and wow what a snare! Even being old and a few holes in the shell from the old strainer mechanism, this thing rocks! Extremely sensitive drum.

The hoops and shell need a good cleaning. Can I just use some spray dawn on it? I'll have more time with it tomorrow!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recommend a good chrome cleaner. I use Simichrome on my Supra & on hardware. I get it on Amazon.
I've got some turtle chrome polish and rust remover. As long as that's safe I'll take the hardware off and give it a good polish tomorrow.

Still has that supra sound even with the few holes. Amazingly sensitive drum. I think I prefer it over my black beauty and it's not even finely tuned

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well guys I gave it a pretty good cleaning and I'm absolutely floored. It looks for the most part pretty new now! I put a new Controlled Sound X on the batter for now. Also, it had puresound super 30s, but I put some Gibraltar 42s on.

Ive got a pair of the aluminum die cast hoops sitting around, but figured they'd dry it out too much. Maybe not though being so light?

I'll take it to the kit tomorrow, but I love this drum so far. Can't believe it took me this long to own one!

20200819_204724.jpg

20200819_204735.jpg
20200819_204752.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great drum in a great size! I have a mid 60s 6.5" SS that somebody converted to a Supra and is one of my favorite snares. I also have a 60's 5x14 that I converted to a Supra and is no different than any other 60's Supra. Both have a classic tone. I prefer the bigger one but both are nice. If you want to do at p83 or P 85, it will need two new holes on the throw side and depending on whether you change out the butt plate, you'll need two holes if you go old school and do a P32 which is what I like.......

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cleaned a 5x14 SS Supra for a friend about three tears ago. It belonged to his brother that had passed away. I think a 60's but not sure. He asked me to play it at one of my gigs and I fell in love with it. I wanted to buy it but the family wouldn't let it go.

I used the extra extra fine steal wool. I was very careful with it because it can scratch the chrome.

sherm

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks very nice... I don't even want to ask what you got it for because I'd just be envious (I like a good bargain)! I'm sure that it sounds good too, though I wonder with it being aluminum if it's really all that different than my Acrolite (though I know that it has 10 lugs rather than 8. If it were me, if it sounds good I'd probably keep the stock rims and the non-stock strainer. I don't think of the strainer on my two old Ludwig snares as being all that great (not really too precision) anyway so that Trick one might even be an improvement, even if it does have the stock vibe.

Last edited:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks very nice... I don't even want to ask what you got it for because I'd just be envious (I like a good bargain)! I'm sure that it sounds good too, though I wonder with it being aluminum if it's really all that different than my Acrolite (though I know that it has 10 lugs rather than 8). If it were me, if it sounds good I'd probably keep the stock rims and the non-stock strainer. I don't think of the strainer on my two old Ludwig snares as being all that great (not really too precision) anyway so that Trick one might even be an improvement, even if it does have the stock vibe.
Trust me, when I put the offer in, I laughed myself. The trick strainer is probably going to stay. Don't want to add even more holes when I rarely am concerned with a strainer anyway.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got to use this baby in church today and see what all the fuss is about on these drums. The first few hits I just looked down and smiled. Now I know. I've been a wood snare fan the last few years, but this one drew me back to metal.

I really thought my aluminum sensitone was good enough, and it was a great snare, but the Ludwig destroyed it. Just so easy to tune and play.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has crispness and warmth simultaneously. I bet it you dropped the tuning "down below his knees" the warmth will explode and your rimshot will still have highs.