K Con pairings

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reworking my cymbal rig and wonder if any of you have paired a Crash of Doom with your K Cons and how it worked out? Always been fascinated by the CoD's and now that I am looking for something to go along with my 21" K Con ride and 19" K Con crash/ride maybe now is the time? Thoughts? Other ideas?

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one thumbs up.....but no comments....is this a crazy idea? Come on DFO, don't let me down!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its all about what YOU hear! If you can hear it do it! It will work!

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing? In what context will you be using the CoD? More information would probably help people to give their opinion.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I owned a 20" for a while. It did not " cut" very well. An amazing low volume cymbal in my opinion. I could see it paired with K Cons as a third option easily. Look on You tube as there are a few videos about the newer / larger models I seem to remember that they addressed the volume issue in one of those short videos w Paul Francis

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing? In what context will you be using the CoD? More information would probably help people to give their opinion.
Good point, although maybe my general question was does anyone think sonically they would be a good match? I play a pretty eclectic mix I think of funk/rock....little jazzy/swingy sometimes. the K Cons are brighter than the rest of my cymbals, which are on the lighter side (Bosphorus, Istanbul, Murat Diril). Maybe not so much bright, but have a shimmer to them that my darker "made in Turkey" don't have. My ride is a K Con Big Band and it actually has some decent volume (again in comparison to my other lighter cymbals). I have no other Zildjians so have no idea on what may mix well with them in their product range.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The two CoDs I’ve owned were vastly different in terms of sound. The first one had an abrasive, tinny quality to it that I hated. I sold it within a day or two of getting it. The second one is more what I expected out of a CoD — and what others have said, i.e. a great low-volume crash/ride. So for me, I guess it would depend a lot on the specific CoD.

Currently, though, I’ve got CoD #2 in my main ride position along with a 19” Vintage Bliss Crash/ride to its right and, on the left, an 18” Bosphorus MV w/ rivets, a 22” K Custom Dry Complex prototype (to work on ambidextrous playing), and a set of 15” Agop OM hats. So mixing and matching is definitely possible, depending on the individual cymbals. I do tend to like a bit of contrast in my setup, though. At any rate, i think a K Con (based on the two I own — a 22” MTL and a 20” Medium) could definitely work.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The two CoDs I’ve owned were vastly different in terms of sound. The first one had an abrasive, tinny quality to it that I hated. I sold it within a day or two of getting it. The second one is more what I expected out of a CoD — and what others have said, i.e. a great low-volume crash/ride. So for me, I guess it would depend a lot on the specific CoD.

Currently, though, I’ve got CoD #2 in my main ride position along with a 19” Vintage Bliss Crash/ride to its right and, on the left, an 18” Bosphorus MV w/ rivets, a 22” K Custom Dry Complex prototype (to work on ambidextrous playing), and a set of 15” Agop OM hats. So mixing and matching is definitely possible, depending on the individual cymbals. I do tend to like a bit of contrast in my setup, though. At any rate, i think a K Con (based on the two I own — a 22” MTL and a 20” Medium) could definitely work.
Hmmm, maybe I already have what I need in my Mehmet x-rubbish 20" crash (also lower volume) and I'm just looking to buy more stuff or am baising myself to create an all Zildjian rig?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 20 CoD - loud and trashy and uncontrollable. I put a bunch of tape underneath and it killed the sound. I added a rivet which helped but it wasn't as versatile as others made it out to be. It could have worked but I was looking for more traditional jazz pies so I sold it......

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 20" cod as my main crash for a while. Could never hear the thing. I replaced it with a 20" k con mtl ride and it's become my favorite cymbal.

I usually use a 22" dream bliss paper thin on my far right crash but have been thinking about trying the cod there. I honestly don't think it will work as it just has no volume to it. I mostly keep the cod just to say I have one and think I'll somehow use it some day.

Currently my main crash with the kcon is a 20" K Sweet. Perfect match.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good point, although maybe my general question was does anyone think sonically they would be a good match? I play a pretty eclectic mix I think of funk/rock....little jazzy/swingy sometimes. the K Cons are brighter than the rest of my cymbals, which are on the lighter side (Bosphorus, Istanbul, Murat Diril). Maybe not so much bright, but have a shimmer to them that my darker "made in Turkey" don't have. My ride is a K Con Big Band and it actually has some decent volume (again in comparison to my other lighter cymbals). I have no other Zildjians so have no idea on what may mix well with them in their product range.
One of thing I notice about mixing my K’s with other turkish cymbals is the amount of overtones in the K’s. They seem to be more erratic and less controlled than Bosphorus or Istanbul cymbals.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of thing I notice about mixing my K’s with other turkish cymbals is the amount of overtones in the K’s. They seem to be more erratic and less controlled than Bosphorus or Istanbul cymbals.
Agreed, I've been experimenting a bit and the K Cons have a certain "ring" to them that are not in my collection of turkish cymbals (Istanbul, Bosphorus, Murat Ds, etc.). Interestingly enough though, I am finding that they still work pretty well together...as in, better than when I mix my turkish-made with other turkish-made in some instances.

jb78

Reaction score
I pair my 22" Constantinople Medium with an 18" K Dark Crash Thin. Love it.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't like my crash of doom paired with my K Constantinoples. My current setup has K Con 16" and 18"s of different eras on either side. I use a 15" K dark crash in the middle more as a splash.

1566044259270.png

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly a K Con player and I've just ordered one of the 20" K Cluster Crashes. I played one at a Guitar Center and it was great-- it seemed to have some of the trash I'd want from a CoD but it also has more than that. It seems to me that it'll blend well with the K Cons, but I'll report back once it's here. Could be a solution for you, too?