K Con trouble with rust?

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker just made an account to post this, hope someone can help! I recently purchased a new 22” K Con medium thin low. It had a lot of greasy finger prints from sitting at guitar center for however long. Needless to say I know most are against cleaning cymbals and I am as well. But being the first new cymbal I have bought in years I did a quick wipe down with vinegar and water to clean all the fingerprints off and give the cymbal a fresh start to age evenly. I’ve had the cymbal 3 weeks and it already seems to be oxidizing or rusting in some areas. I am wondering if I damaged the seal coat on the cymbal when cleaning? If there is anything I should be worried about or if this is just regular patina? It seems really fast for a patina to develop. The cymbal sounds amazing and I don’t want to swap it out and possibly end up with a dud. Any help would be greatly appreciated! You can even see on the bell the difference in coloration.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you mistaking the unlathed areas where the lathe skips over deep hammer marks as rust?

cymbals looks pretty fine normal K Con to me; Bronze "rust" is sometimes green.
I don't see any unusual marks..

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
It doesn’t seem to be oven crust that was skipped over during lathing.

Seems to be some type of oxidation that is happening in between the grooves of the lathing. Just happened in the last week

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

there's a little bit of orange there; like somebody may have groove juiced it

the pebble -like marks on the cup and others in the body were in the K Cons I've owned

are you saying the color "inside" the "pebble-shaped" marks is changing?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oxidation or patina looks petty normal to me. You'll have to "juice" the cymbal on a routine schedule to keep patina at bay.

Don't know what kind finish the cymbal came with......and if vinegar products can diminish or damage it. ????

Esotericdrums

Reaction score

there's a little bit of orange there; like somebody may have groove juiced it

the pebble -like marks on the cup and others in the body were in the K Cons I've owned

are you saying the color "inside" the "pebble-shaped" marks is changing?
thanks for the replies!

I am referring to the orange. The pits or pebble like marks are fine. The orange tint delevoped on about 3/4 of the cymbal

I wiped it down real quick with a vinegar/water mixture when I first got it new 3 weeks ago, just to get rid of all the fingerprints.

I am fine with patina. It just seemed to develop very quick. I’ve never had a cymbal patina that fast. I wasn’t sure if I could have messed up a sealer coat or something?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only seen that 'orange with groove juice do that to my cymbals.
Maybe the store dusted it off with that before shipped it to you or a previous owner and or I don't think there's much of a spray on Z cymbals

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try cleaning it again, then wax the cymbal with some car wax. That should help it from oxidizing. You will still get fingerprints and what not on the cymbal, but the moisture in the air shouldn't cause you much issue with a bit of wax on it. I clean and wax all my cymbals and they all look and sound like new.

eigentone

Reaction score
I own many Cons. None have that orange stuff. My guess is that it was from the vinegar. I handle cymbals by the edges and clean them with a dry microfiber towel. That won't remove fingerprints. I also put them in cases after use. Fingerprints will accumulate over time but I have had them a few years and they don't look much different from the day I bought them -- except of course stick marks. Hats, Crashes, Rides and prototypes.