K Constantinople 20" Medium Ride Questions

Rick

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with this cymbal? Here's what I'm considering:

I currently have two rides on my kit. I play a variety of everything from jazz to classic soul/rock, blues, funk, R&B. The two rides I have now are a K Con 20" Light Ride with 3 rivets and a K Custom Dark 20" Ride. I like having the two different rides to choose a different texture for certain songs and also to sometimes change texture for a new soloist within a song. I absolutely love the K Con Light Ride. And I really like the K Custom Dark too. But I don't feel that the two cymbals work particularly well together. Especially if I go within a song from the K Con Light Ride to the K Custom Dark, it just doesn't usually sound right to me. I'm wondering if the K Con Medium Ride would pair better with the K Con Light and still be different enough to provide that different texture I'm looking for. Listening to sound samples online, I like what I'm hearing and it sounds like it would work. It's just hard to tell for sure without actually putting the cymbals on my kit and playing them on a gig.

Anyway, just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. Also, are there any significant differences with the K Con Medium from 1998 to current production? I'm looking at one on Reverb that, from the stamp, looks like it was manufactured in 1999. It looks like it's in great shape from the pictures and I have asked the seller to provide some additional photos in brighter lighting. I'm also considering buying new. I listened to several in Memphis Drum Shop's "My Cymbal" videos and found one I particularly like.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" K Con Medium. I do not own either of the other two you mention to give a direct comparison. What weight is your K Con light? My K Con medium is roughly 2000g. It's dark but shimmery, has an absolutely beautiful bell and is minimally crashable in anything other than softer big washy situations. My 19" crash/ride...more crashable but not as pretty a ride as the medium. My K Con 21" Big Band...heavy, cutting good bell and sustain for hours.

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my K Cons and keep threatening (myself) to maybe sell or trade them...but there is something about them.

I'm interested to see what you get for suggestions to this question as I am also looking for good pairings.

Rick

Reaction score
I have a 20" K Con Medium. I do not own either of the other two you mention to give a direct comparison. What weight is your K Con light? My K Con medium is roughly 2000g. It's dark but shimmery, has an absolutely beautiful bell and is minimally crashable in anything other than softer big washy situations. My 19" crash/ride...more crashable but not as pretty a ride as the medium. My K Con 21" Big Band...heavy, cutting good bell and sustain for hours.

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my K Cons and keep threatening (myself) to maybe sell or trade them...but there is something about them.

I'm interested to see what you get for suggestions to this question as I am also looking for good pairings.
My K Con Light (20" with the 3 rivets) is 1988g. The used 20" K Con Medium I'm considering on Reverb is 2093g. This is the video the seller posted (from the shop where he bought it) that I believe is the exact cymbal. I'm going to confirm that with the seller...

Rick

Reaction score
Update:
So for anyone wondering what I decided, I ordered the new one from Memphis Drum Shop. Don’t have it yet but will report back when I do!

The used one on Reverb is still for sale and I think it is a great cymbal at a reasonable price. I exchanged several messages with the seller. He even took some extra pics for me. Great guy! Here’s the listing:

Oh and here's the one I bought and am waiting on from Memphis Drum Shop:

Last edited: