K Custom Organic Ride Experiences?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
This ride looks and sounds very appealing to me, at least based on the youtube videos I've found. The problem is that even in a major city there isn't a single store that has one of these in stock to try out. I've negotiated with my local drum shop to order two if I promise to buy one, just so I can A/B them given Zildjian's consistent inconsistency. In my excitement and interest (there isn't a ton of info out there) I'm curious to know if others have any thoughts on this particular ride, and more specifically the degree of variation from one to the next.

zildjian-21-k-custom-organic-ride-xl.jpg

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to gravitate toward dry cymbals, so I eagerly awaited the Organic Ride and picked one up upon release. I played it for a few months before my intrigue with Meinl began and then I let it go.

The one that I had played and sounded like a mix between a 20" Earh Ride and my 20" Custom Dry Light, though weight wise, my Earth Ride was on the lighter side than most. The Organic Ride has a nice feel to it; more forgiving under the stick than I expected, and not clunky at all. The bell is the gem though. Very strong and cutting without being piercing or wonky. Crashability was so-so, certianly on the heavier side and got out of the way quickly.

As of late I've come to favor other brands and sounds over Zildjian, however, the Organic Ride is one that I'd consider owning again.

Memphis Drum Shop currently has three listed with MyCymbal videos.

ayryq

Reaction score
I had mine alongside a K Custom Dry Ride (must have been a 20"?) and they were very close. (Note not the "special" ride). So maybe if you can try out one of those, or the Custom Dry Light or Earth Ride mentioned above, you'll get close to the idea. I switched to the Organic at church from a Sabian AAX raw bell ride and I got the same nice pingy definition with just the extra touch of musical jazzy wash that the AAX lacked.

Eric

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest insights folks. It seems my order is delayed as Zildjian is backordered on these (in high demand or none at all?). Looking forward to hearing any other experiences people have had, and I'll be sure to post again once I've finally got one in my possession.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I studied with Pat Petrillo (who designed the ride cymbal) and I've played his prototype and the finished production model. The prototype had a sandblasted top with a brilliant finish on the bottom (like the production model).

When I bought mine there was 3 models there and all 3 were slightly different in looks (as the tops are raw/unfinished) and sound (some a bit more washier than others).

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the ones I've tried at stores just sounded like a cymbal with a large felt washer and wingnut over tightened. There was one at Hollywood GC when I was there in 2016 I think that was so nice sounding. It was dry and pingy but had just a little wash under it all and could be crashed. I wasn't in a position to buy cymbals at the time but still regret not buying it.

Reaction score
Sounds like people have had similar experiences with them, namely plenty of inconsistency but the good ones are killer. Just wondering if anyone has noticed a correlation with weight, or is it some other more elusive factor like hammering, weight distribution, patina development, etc.? I've requested that Zildjian ship two different sounding models, so hopefully one will be killer to me. Fingers crossed....

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I’ve owned two organic rides in the last year. One was 2552 grams and the other one was 2491 grams. the 2491 gram ride did crash a little better but they both were dry with a strong but subtle stick sound. To me the rides reminded me of the standard K Custom ride but with gaff tape on the top.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like Kevinyarger
I have owned 2 Organic rides - both of them were very dry and lower pitched . They have their own cool vibe but I quickly tired of them and sold them .