K Custom Rides

ncdrumr

Reaction score
Anybody still using these? I mean the shiny ones with all the stick definition, that look like the old Z customs. I encountered a used one at a store yesterday but ran out of time before I could get the price. It seems like a cymbal that would do well for rock. They were pretty popular in the 1990s, I think. Maybe the sound is a bit one-dimensional? If you've played one, tell me your impressions. Thanks-

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one back then, fantastic cymbal for what it does. Don't look for it to be crashable obviously. I currently own the K Custom Dry version and still love it.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got one of these bad boys. 22” model from 2006. Weighs in at 3261g. Great for metal and rock. This one weighs about 360g less than my 22” A Custom Ping Ride(Pre serial, 3620g). So I use them complimentary. Has a little less ping and a little more wash than the ping ride. They work well together if you wanna rock 2 rides!

Attachments

• 2285F5CD-1329-4EAC-8784-335A5043D001.jpeg
    2285F5CD-1329-4EAC-8784-335A5043D001.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 15
  • C754A042-8509-4B6C-8017-2F25FBD664B9.jpeg
    C754A042-8509-4B6C-8017-2F25FBD664B9.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 16

Butch1970

Reaction score
Bought a 20” new in NYC early 90’s. Back at UNT in the practice buildings, you could hear one clear as day walking down the halls! Sound got a bit cliche and tiresome, so I eventually traded that 20” for a used 22” that came into the shop I worked at . That was a different beast: lower pitched, more mellow and had a distinct downward flange about a 1/2” from the edge. That became my main working cymbal for years. Sounded great with a ProMark Sizzler for the ballads and “salad music” or it could rock out once you started laying into it.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason (probably seeing them in Modern Drummer), the 20 was the first ride I bought for myself as a teenager. I ended up hating it.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have my old 20" - I bought it right before I went on tour with a band I was playing with a the time. It was $125 back in '92, when Alex Music in NYC was having a big sale. After the tour, I used the ride pretty regularly for the next 10 years. Back then we didn't bother with gram weights, so I had no idea if mine was on the heavy or light side. I finally weighed it and it's 2749g, which is lighter than many of the ones I've seen online. Sustain is kind on the short side - bright stick attack, dark overtones "exotic" crash. The basic stick sound is a "heavy tah". It always recorded nicely and cut well live. This one has the "upside down" CUSTOM logo - not sure when they stamped the logo that way.

Attachments

• tempImagedNnKB2.png
    tempImagedNnKB2.png
    405.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

zenstat

Reaction score
I still have my old 20" - I bought it right before I went on tour with a band I was playing with a the time. It was $125 back in '92, when Alex Music in NYC was having a big sale. After the tour, I used the ride pretty regularly for the next 10 years. Back then we didn't bother with gram weights, so I had no idea if mine was on the heavy or light side. I finally weighed it and it's 2749g, which is lighter than many of the ones I've seen online. Sustain is kind on the short side - bright stick attack, dark overtones "exotic" crash. The basic stick sound is a "heavy tah". It always recorded nicely and cut well live. This one has the "upside down" CUSTOM logo - not sure when they stamped the logo that way.

Introduced in 1987. As far as I can tell this thread has people once again mixing up the K series CUSTOM with the later K Custom Ride. The K Custom Ride came out in 1995 when the K Custom line was officially introduced. Another slightly confusing naming by Zildjian which leads to some people being a decade out in their discussions.

Does the bottom of yours have the full Zildjian ink or the K ink? I'm still working on a better working definition of some of the changes in the sequence. More data will help.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Introduced in 1987. As far as I can tell this thread has people once again mixing up the K series CUSTOM with the later K Custom Ride. The K Custom Ride came out in 1995 when the K Custom line was officially introduced. Another slightly confusing naming by Zildjian which leads to some people being a decade out in their discussions.

Does the bottom of yours have the full Zildjian ink or the K ink? I'm still working on a better working definition of some of the changes in the sequence. More data will help.
Thanks for that link - I see that the upside down logo kept going a few years after mine was produced (assuming mine was made in '92, not sure how long it was sitting in the store). The logo on the underside is the Zildjian ink - no Avedis.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a couple 20” in the past , subtlety and nuance are not their forte . They still have their place though .

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anton Fig uses a 20” K Custom I believe. Seems to always use it and it works great for him. Again, it provides a nice clear stick for the time to be heard.

ncdrumr

Reaction score

Thanks for all of this context. Yes, the ones introduced in the 80s are what I was curious about, and what I believe I saw in the store. I think Kenny Aronoff has one in his studio tour video.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the only thing that changed was the name? The individual cymbals (batches) might differ in looks, but the general design seem to have remained unchanged.

Reaction score
I’m loving my 20” for hard and fast jams. It crashes kinda, gongish but records/mic’s really well. Bell is amazing. Sticking carries through which the band loves. Been on the hunt for a 22” now for a while. Little lower pitch with more flex to wash and maybe some more versatility. Seen a few but just not the right one yet.