K Custom Session ride - opinions

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
...unlathed heavily hammered brilliant finish designed in collaboration with Steve Gadd . I've an opportunity to trade with a pal of mine for a snare drum I picked up on impulse recently that I'm not thrilled about , but he might be .

Anybody have experience with this ride ? Other than a weight difference , is this kinda sorta in the same bal lpark as Sabian's Leopard ?

Thanks

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
just found this , but am still interested to other viewpoints

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The original size was 18", a bit too loud, dry and pingy for my taste. Judging by the videos, it does seem to perform similarly to Gadd's 80s/90s ride.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although Steve played an 18" K ride which was the inspiration for the K Custom Session Series, and the 18" K Session Ride was ground zero, the 20" is a more all-around cymbal. The 18" may not work for you. Good luck!
Funny how these things go...cymbals that sound and feel great from behind kit don't always translate that way out front and vice versa .... " was it good for you too ?"

The 18 is one ugly sounding cymbal , but when the music starts, the frog is kissed . These days I spend a lot of time noodling in the basement alone , so maybe the 20 . The fellow with this ride I may trade with is a mutual friend of ours, John . He has / had numerous items of mine and I of his .

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 20” version at one point, and wish I would have kept it. It has its uses for sure. It’s pretty similar to a plain K custom. Ended up liking a 22” K Custom better than the 20, but then parted with that one later too. That said, I landed eventually on the K Dark Medium for the more pingy sound instead. As others said, within the music, cymbals can sound a lot different out front.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every time I see a newer video of Steve gadd play he is playing the A classic orchestral medium-light 20. I hardly ever see him play that session ride. Elvin played that ride too. I have the medium-heavy 20 but wish I had the other but couldn’t find one.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every time I see a newer video of Steve gadd play he is playing the A classic orchestral medium-light 20. I hardly ever see him play that session ride. Elvin played that ride too. I have the medium-heavy 20 but wish I had the other but couldn’t find one.
I have the 20” Med Light Avedis orchestra ride. It’s a great one.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had two of the 18” version and both went dead on me . Went from ping to clank , no resonance or shimmer left . I thought it was something of an aberration the first time but when it did it again …..

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a box set circa 2005 (18/16/14 hats). The hats were pretty nice. The 18 ride sounded clangy behind the kit, but out front sounded surprisingly nice. I really didn't use the 16 because I just don't use crash cymbals and it didn't ride well enough to use it in that role. I ordered the 20 inch ride and had Zildjian put a three rivet cluster ... that sounded decent.

A DVD was bundled with the box set, along with a nice cymbal bag. Here is the contents of the DVD in its entirety: