K Instanbul vs. K Cerope

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
A quick one of my 16" K Istanbul and 20" Kerope.
Believe me, I wish I had a 20" version of each for comparison.
We all will have to make due with what we have here.
And (spoiler) there's rivets, too.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
1) Avedis undertook making "K"s in what 1979? Since then, there's been "how many" "K" lines ( briefly Canadian, standard/regular (or as we call them EAK, IAK, New) , Custom...Constantinople.. Hybrid am I missing any?...Brilliant.....and the most recent: Kerope)

Let's hope they've imitated it correctly- if that ever was their intention this time.

One thing impossible or improbable for Avedis to reproduce is the three to four distinct sound era's of Old K Istanbul's. Add the wide weight variety and you're talking about an entire company within the company..

One advantage Avedis does have over the deceased Turkish old K is the ability to produce flats, chinas, 19"s, 24"s (very few of old K in those 2 sizes) 26"s, aero ones with holes and sets of easily available cymbals.

So the old K legacy can only move forward. Going in reverse is a fraught with "things". Similar to backing out of the driveway in pitch black darkness with no reverse lights. No dash cam and No back up camera. Only the glimmer of red brake lights. (5$ joke right there)

Those two sound nice together.

Last edited:

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
One thing impossible or improbable for Avedis to reproduce is the three to four distinct sound era's of Old K Istanbul's. Add the wide weight variety and you're talking about an entire company within the company..

Agreed.
I posted because those two in particular appear especially similar in profile, lathe marks, hammering. Not so much in weight. Sounds are related, too.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Seem they modeled Kerope as a blend with a lean toward new stamps but not sure how he/they went about it
pretty hard to mesh a type III/Type IV with an Intermediate or a New Stamp and end up with a cymbal So maybe he/they listened to (or "felt") every era including K Con and came up with an overarching hybrid. retaining zildjianess. which only they can do. I think they went on feeling. little bit or a lot of actual physicalness/build/ nonetheless it's Stamp 5 extension 7 of turkish K

Last edited:

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Here is an equally quick zoom q8 video of a Sabian Artisan 20 and a K New Stamp 18.

It's all handheld video, so if you are prone to motion sickness you may want to take your Dramamine before watching.

These two have very similar hammering, lathe marks, and bell size (but different than th Kerope and older K in the previous vid).

Latest posts