K like an A Custom?

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe an odd question, but is there a 20” K ride cymbal that sounds similar to the A Custom line? I’m thinking a full, clean sounding ping with a nice big bell.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe an odd question, but is there a 20” K ride cymbal that sounds similar to the A Custom line? I’m thinking a full, clean sounding ping with a nice big bell.
Yes,
I have 2 different 20” K ride cymbals and one of them does in fact sound more like an A custom than my other K.
I use the K heavy ride but don’t play the other K anymore due it it sounding too bright and pingy for my tastes.

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes,
I have 2 different 20” K ride cymbals and one of them does in fact sound more like an A custom than my other K.
I use the K heavy ride but don’t play the other K anymore due it it sounding too bright and pingy for my tastes.
Bright pingy K is what I’m after. Decent bell too?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
K Customs from back in the day. Check out Weckl vids from the 80's/90's - they were very pingy, a bell that rang for days and heavy!
Unfortunately, the crash was clangy and not recommended. I have one from that era - it was my main ride for years although I had a lot of clear tape on it to tame it. Got it from a pro who hand picked it from the Z factory.....so the story goes. RIP B.Z.

I used to have a full set of A Customs with it - 14 hats, and 14, 16, 18 and 20 crashes. I sold them all after I burned out of that phase in the late 90's, plus I was tired of having to clean them. However, I never cleaned the 14" crash and it had a nice dark brass patina. I transitioned to K's at that time and it actually was darker sounding than my 17" K thin dark! I should have held onto it but sold it for a good price.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
K Session brilliant finish 20 or 18 might be the ones.A bit heavier than a 20" A Custom a little more aggressive .

Reactions: JDA

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check out the regular K custom rides, but they’re going to be a lot more dry than an A Custom ride. Nice cymbals though. Otherwise, take a look at the K Heavy ride (these are beautiful)…these will have more sustain than the K Custom.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and suggestions! I’ll make note of these and try them out on my next music store visit.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, a K Custom (or any K really) that's similar in weight to an A Custom is not going to be the same. Similar? Possibly, but not the same. They're different animals and designed to sound different.

It's kind of like buying a 602 to achieve a 2002 sound. Maybe that's a crude analogy, but you get my point. Why not just get an A Custom?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check out the 21" K Crash Ride. They have the larger A Custom-style bell, a brilliant finish, and K hammering. They're discontinued now, but still out there.

evolving_machine

Reaction score
I have a 20" Sessions K, that may be what your looking for. It has a very large bell, and project far. I am not sure if they still make them, but I purchased it new in 2008. It is a cymbal that sounds better in the audience than from the kit. It is hammered and not lathed. At least I do not see any apparent lathing marks.