K or K custom?

R

RickP

Looks like a K Custom to me.Is it lathed ? If not it would be a K Custom.
There are different K Custom ride cymbals- the originals were a brilliant finish with no lathing top or bottom.They have a very pronounced stick sound.Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl were early users of the original K Custom rides.

Does yours look like the one pictured ?

Lu Batera

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but still after a bit of research, I could not understand quite clearly what is lathed/unlathed (english is not my native language, i'm portuguese).
RickP, my cymbal does look like that one, although I think the bell of my ride is a bit larger.
I'm trying to find other pictures that can help.

But for now, I have here a few pictures of other cymbal I'm trying to sell (it's not the one from the previous picture). I think it's a K, and it does look like that picture you put there. Look:

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp5018uc5.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp5019qc3.jpg

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lathing is a technique where the cymbal is rotated quickly and a wedge-like tool is used to trim down the surface. Lathed cymbals have concentric rings on the surface.

Lu Batera

Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much, BoxMonster13. Mine is not lathed, so I think it's the confirmation that it is a K Custom.
What is curious is that the one I'm showing on the last pictures also is not lathed, so probably is also a K Custom, but more recent, probably, since the bell is quite different from mine.

Is it possible to find out the year of construction for each cymbal?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've owned K Customs unlathed and lathed on one side. The unlathed ones are pretty loud and gongy the others are nice but dont project as well. Nice big bell on the unlathed. Similar to the Heavy Ride series. Dont think I'd buy another tho...BennyK.