Karen Carpenter Award Upsets John Bonham

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Karen Carpenter Award Upsets John Bonham

SKF NOTE: Flipping through this 35-year old magazine yesterday, I stopped to read something in a news article I had underscored in red ink said by John Bonham. It had me laughing, so I decided to share it.

“I’d like to have it publicized that I came in after Karen Carpenter in the Playboy drummer poll,” roars Bonzo as I entered the dressing room at the Chicago Stadium. “She couldn’t last ten minutes with a Zeppelin number,” he sneers.

Source: Led Zeppelin Dances on Air, by Lisa Robinson, Led Zeppelin CREEM Special Edition, Winter 1980

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
perhaps the reason rainy days get her down is that her date stood her up. coincidence?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Polls are usually BS. Especially now. Who would spend several minutes talking to a pollster? On a landline phone? Who has those?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
“She couldn’t last ten minutes with a Zeppelin number,”
That might be true playing a Zep song but Karen was a heck of a good drummer who could rattle off Buddy style licks with ease (even if she didn't have many opportunities to do so within the Carpenters format).

Besides, wasn't the Playboy poll about "Jazz" players? If so neither one of them should really have been included.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had heard of Carpenter beating Bonham in "a" poll but I didn't know which one and had not heard his quote about it. When I heard about the poll I went to youtube to see if they had any videos of Karen Carpenter playing the drums and was shocked to see how good she was. Obviously a very skilled, schooled, practiced drummer with plenty of experience on the stage entertaining. Having said that, when I get together with my drumming friends to steal each other chops or when I first meet another drummer it is not Karen Carpenter we talk about and miss but the late, great John Henry.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
That was probably drunk Bonham. Not-drunk Bonham might have been nicer.... ;)

Agree that polls are silly, but as mentioned, Karen was indeed a silly good drummer.

-Ryan

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Heartbeat said:
And Bonham could never sing a Carpenters tune. Karen was multi-talented. I like him a little less now. Lol
+1K on that Amy, Bonham could play but Carpenter was a true entertainer and a great voice.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bonham was an alcoholic and an obnoxious bore when drinking. The only time the guy was decent was at home with family or
racing his cars. Page, Bonham and Plant became ego manics once they achieved some success. Jones was the glue and set Bonham
and Page up to have all the room they needed.
Bonham was not a likeable man, I know theres Led Zeplin fans here and Bonham fanboys everywhere but simular to Keith Moon
Bonham was an azzhole.
Personal experience enables me to say this. I know personally that Plant has made a complete turn around through the years and has
become a decent fellow, Page also has lightened up on the "rock star" BS!

I like Bonhams style but as a person he was a jackazz!
Doc

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cworrick wrote
"It was a poll done by Playboy! The reason Karen won was because none of the voters wanted to see Bonham naked."

That probably is the truth. Bonham probably scored lower in that poll than Irlene Mandrell.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Does somebody have evidence of this idea of Karen Carpenter being a heck of a good drummer? I've seen snippets, but none that convinced me of her being more than passable--and I love that she used Vistalites.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:
Does somebody have evidence of this idea of Karen Carpenter being a heck of a good drummer? I've seen snippets, but none that convinced me of her being more than passable--and I love that she used Vistalites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:
Karen starts tearing it up at around 2:30:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Karen might have been "Cheezy", but she had some killer chops.

I think sometimes her fame as a singer and her eating disorder over shadow her true talent and a drummer.

Funktosterone

Reaction score
Heartbeat said:
And Bonham could never sing a Carpenters tune. Karen was multi-talented. I like him a little less now. Lol
Exactly, I don't think I've ever heard Bonzo play Black Dog and sing like an angel at the same time. Love 'em both, but Karen was pure magic.

Latest posts