Karen Carpenter Award Upsets John Bonham

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Karen was a very good traditional drummer. Bonham was a very good rock drummer. A difficult comparison to make.

Their personalities are a little easier to compare: I've heard that Karen was a sweetheart. I've also heard that Bonham was a...jerk.

So, extra points to Karen - for me at least.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bonham, like so many egotists, was insecure at his core. That's why it ate at him that anyone would have come out above him on a poll. Is there any record of him ever having a kind word to say about another drummer?

jansara

Reaction score
"Best" polls are popularity contests regardless who conducts them. Bonham obviously had trouble coping with a bruised, over-inflated ego.

Using his own music as a yardstick in criticizing someone else's popularity is as cheap and pompous as it gets.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bonham couldn't carry Karen's cymbal bag!!

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'll go with he was either drinking, drunk or hungover or all three. Seems I recall him being on some TV or radio show where the host called him the greatest drummer etc.etc. and Bonham took exception to that and was very humble.

I liked em both. Sad they are no longer with us.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stickinthemud said:
This place gets more like a bunch of bitter old geezers every day.
That's because it's hard to be an old geezer without getting bitter.
Hey, get offa my lawn!!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Once again, it's impossible to tell what a person really meant via print media. Who knows if he was serious, joking, etc.? Anyway, enjoy them both for the music they left behind - they were both great, and both died so very young. As for Bonham not having a kind word for anybody? Well, he certainly payed tribute to others in his solos - Max Roach comes to mind instantly for the "Drum Also Waltzes" snippets he would use all the time.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
stinkingbadges! said:
I'll go with he was either drinking, drunk or hungover or all three. Seems I recall him being on some TV or radio show where the host called him the greatest drummer etc.etc. and Bonham took exception to that and was very humble.

I liked em both. Sad they are no longer with us.
It was in interview with comedian Billy Connelly, who was a friend of his. When Billy asked how he felt being one of the world's greatest drummers and he dismissed that immediately, and pretty much the rest of the interview for that matter. He loved Moon, Roach, Krupa, Cozy Powell, and Bev Bevan was a friend who's playing he respected.

He was a big fan of Stuart Copeland's playing and Jason remembers his dad bringing him to a show in London. Plant recalls Bonham lamenting over his playing while listening to the Police or Fleetwood Mac towards the end of his days.

I agree it's just sad that neither of them are around anymore to ask about it. Not that they would care too much 40 years later. They both had their demons.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Monty said:
Bonham couldn't carry Karen's cymbal bag!!
Lol, now that is funny,

I was hoping this OP would be the nail in the Neil bashing threads coffin ...and it just may be!

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just for the record: As I say in the opening of my post, John Bonham's remarks made me laugh because he came across as thin-skinned. It was not my intent to set him up so others could pig pile him. I know threads often take on lives of their own. But as someone mentions in this thread: alcoholism is a disease. Bonham's death, no matter how you slice it, was tragic. I wonder how many hangers-on were with him, egging him on to have one more shot the night he died. And I wonder how many friends were on hand trying to get him to stop.

Finally, neither John nor Karen are here to defend themselves. I always see that as reason enough to make valid points, but to also respect the people involved. Both players left strong musical legacies.

Best,
skf

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scott K Fish said:
Just for the record: As I say in the opening of my post, John Bonham's remarks made me laugh because he came across as thin-skinned. It was not my intent to set him up so others could pig pile him. I know threads often take on lives of their own. But as someone mentions in this thread: alcoholism is a disease. Bonham's death, no matter how you slice it, was tragic. I wonder how many hangers-on were with him, egging him on to have one more shot the night he died. And I wonder how many friends were on hand trying to get him to stop.

Finally, neither John nor Karen are here to defend themselves. I always see that as reason enough to make valid points, but to also respect the people involved. Both players left strong musical legacies.

Best,
skf
Hey Scott, I'm pretty sure any regular to this forum is well aware of the value of your contributions and the intent of your posts.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The cool thing about both the Playboy and the Downbeat annual polls is that they recognized instrumentalists. Good press coverage for otherwise poorly covered instrumentalists.

Of course they missed by the odd mile, and probably did their best to court some controversy--eg putting Karen and JB on the same list of candidates.

Latest posts