Karen Carpenter Award Upsets John Bonham

prplx

Reaction score
That juvenile attitude displayed by Bonham is in keeping with the juvenile attitudes on display by his many followers after his death. Seems somewhat fitting.
The type of followers who celebrate his death by having a drink.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Duh.

It was a poll done by Playboy! The reason Karen won was because none of the voters wanted to see Bonham naked.
Truth be told, I never dreamed of seeing Karen Carpenter naked either. Absolutely zero interest. "Azzhole" or not, I would much rather watch and hear Bonham play drums than Karen.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jon did not know. He did not lose to Karen. It was Hal Blaine. Hal told us at a Drummers convention in Atlanta that he did her studio work.
Hal did the studio work of numerous bands and/or drummers....if only because he could get it done faster in the studio and save time/money for the artist/band....not solely because he was the far better drummer. Even Blaine suggests that drummers such as Karen Carpenter were quite proficient and skilled and could have done their own drum tracks if they thought it was best. But, it might have taken then dozens of times to do it just right. Hal and Co. could get it done in one or a couple of takes. And Hal did have a knack for helping to find the right beats and fills to propel a record.

Karen probably would have loved to have stayed behind the scenes more and played the drums while singing. That was her passion. She lost a part of herself when they forced her up into the front of the stage....leaving drums behind. Regardless if the Carpenter's genius was Richard's song writing and phrasing. There would have been no world-wide success for the Carpenter's "band" without Karen's voice being "discovered." And her voice was one of the best female pop voices ever.....right up there with Judith Durham of the Seekers, Linda Ronstadt, and a few others.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kinda funny...

As I was reading through this thread it slowly dawned on me that I just don't care about anything John Bonham said anymore. Just. So. Yesterday.

In other news....

My grandson called me Pop-Pop for the first time this morning. And that means so much more to me than anything any "rockstar" ever said.

lol

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All this discussion on whether Karen could have managed Zeppelin, what about who might have sounded better (on drums) in the Carpenters? Although frankly neither are my faves, in a jazzy setting, I think I'd opt for Karen. Louder isn't always better.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All this discussion on whether Karen could have managed Zeppelin, what about who might have sounded better (on drums) in the Carpenters? Although frankly neither are my faves, in a jazzy setting, I think I'd opt for Karen. Louder isn't always better.
I could see Bonzo easily kicking a big band with the best of them. There are / were tons of really good pro drummers, Karen Carpenter being one of them. Bonham is on another level so far beyond her it's no comparison.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could see Bonzo easily kicking a big band with the best of them. There are / were tons of really good pro drummers, Karen Carpenter being one of them. Bonham is on another level so far beyond her it's no comparison.
That's probably true. Bonzo had incredible feet and drum to drum hand speed that Hal Blaine and Karen Carpenter probably couldn't dream of matching. But who was on more hit records? You don't have to have the best chops and fastest "this or that" to be the "best choice" in the studio. Think of Hal Blaine, Jeff Porcaro, JR Robinson, Bernard Purdie, Earl Palmer and dozens of others....even Gene Krupa.

I doubt ANY of those guys could have handled Zeppelin as well....that was Bonham all day long. Yet JB couldn't have done what those guys did in the studio and on supporting live gigs with nothing but a piece of sheet music tossed in front of them witout notice. And I doubt Bonham could have played "Carpenter's music" as well as Karen did. There's a drummer fitted perfectly to certain types of music styles. It's rare to find one who can handle most ANY kind of music at a world class level. They were all great at what they were great at.....all of them. So let's leave it at that. I'd buy a ticket to see any of them play again "in their prime."

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never seen any evidence that Bonham wouldn't have been fired from a top big band in under 5 minutes. Give me a break.
If he were born forty years earlier, Bonzo would have been a great big band drummer.