Karen Carpenter on drums

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this video of The Carpenters in concert sometime around 1976, with Karen showcasing her talent. Of course, we all know Karen Carpenter could play and I mean REALLY play the drums. My question is, does anyone know who the other backup drummer was in the video? He had some serious chops as well.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KC was a badass... Even though she sang like an angel, I can't help but wonder what might've happened if she'd stuck to drumming, freed herself from her brother's/label/management's influence and rebelled just a little bit.... Alas! This is just another "what if..."

In the vid, she does all her stuff with an ear-to-ear smile, you can tell that she is thouroughly enjoying herself. And without ever messing up her perfectly wavy hair, no less! Certainly more pleasing to the eye than Buddy sweating like a hog...

R.I.P Karen...

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some checking - you nailed it. Cubby.

Found this article. It explains toward the end how Cubby got the drumming chair with the Carpenters.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I came across this video of The Carpenters in concert sometime around 1976, with Karen showcasing her talent. Of course, we all know Karen Carpenter could play and I mean REALLY play the drums. My question is, does anyone know who the other backup drummer was in the video? He had some serious chops as well.

Yikes! She was already a rail at that point. What a talent! One of my favorite voices ever! Tragic that she didn’t get the help she needed.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She was a very underrated drummer. There is a video of them from 1971 BBC where Karen plays practically the whole show behind the drums while singing. This was before Cubby was part of the act, but they had a drummer named Jim Anthony that would play the kit on the ballads only and various percussion. They do a Bacharach medley where Karen really shines on the kit. She is a soft spot for me, and her voice makes me tear up a bit.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yikes! She was already a rail at that point. What a talent! One of my favorite voices ever! Tragic that she didn’t get the help she needed.
This still happens today among so many people. Manifests itself in anorexia nervosa, cutting, rage issues and even panic attacks. Problems for the individual and others around them. What we know today about the psychological causes are only slightly better than they were back in the 70's. All we've done today is developed enough drugs and dosages to subdue & mask these problem, not address and remedy the issue. For all the pharmaceutical , technological and so-called learned advancements in the world...mental health issues are still very fuzzy. Sorry for my rant, but everything you said I agree with.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She was a very underrated drummer. There is a video of them from 1971 BBC where Karen plays practically the whole show behind the drums while singing. This was before Cubby was part of the act, but they had a drummer named Jim Anthony that would play the kit on the ballads only and various percussion. They do a Bacharach medley where Karen really shines on the kit. She is a soft spot for me, and her voice makes me tear up a bit.
Absolutely true about her voice.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This still happens today among so many people. Manifests itself in anorexia nervosa, cutting, rage issues and even panic attacks. Problems for the individual and others around them. What we know today about the psychological causes are only slightly better than they were back in the 70's. All we've done today is developed enough drugs and dosages to subdue & mask these problem, not address and remedy the issue. For all the pharmaceutical , technological and so-called learned advancements in the world...mental health issues are still very fuzzy. Sorry for my rant, but everything you said I agree with.
For pharma, managing disease symptoms is more profitable than curing disease.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Found this article. It explains toward the end how Cubby got the drumming chair with the Carpenters.
Interesting, thanks for posting. I grew up with the Mickey Mouse Club and Cubby. Also with Annette.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Her voice was truly incredible. Her drumming was superior. If there was a different mentality behind women as “showpieces” rather than as talented musicians we may have been able to appreciate her magnificence. Who wouldn’t like this to change? I bet women musicians would applaud a shift. But men are in charge and that may be the crux.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In 1973, I worked the Carpenter's USA tour as an employee with SHOWCO sound.
All of the band members were very professional musicians and pleasant people.
Richard ran the show and was super friendly........Karen, while staying a bit more private, was not difficult to deal with.
Cubby was the drummer on this tour and was a powerful and consistent part of the rhythm section.
We started in Chicago, worked the Midwest and the South, and finished in Tampa, FL.
Good people and good memories......