KAT KA2 Drum Amplifier...

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I just bought a KA2 from Hello Music---they had it on sale for $50 off the normal price shipped and I couldn't resist. I've been using a 90 watt Behringer Keyboard amp for the last year and a half on my church gig with my Ludwig/Roland hybrid kit (Ludland? Rolwig?), and it's a very decent little amp. Great in the mids, not so much on lows and highs. I had read some reviews of the KA2, including a comparison with the Simmons 200 watter, and they were pretty positive about the Kat and its capabilities. The price was a bit off putting, though---typically $369 and up, so I never pulled the trigger...until the sale came up at Hello Music, which occasionally has some very good deals.
I set it up this afternoon after we were done with our youth rally that we hosted and was really pleased by how good it sounded. The speaker is a twelve as opposed to the eight in the Behringer, and the low end was phenomenal. I had to bring the volume down because this thing really is capable of "rocking the house---" literally! It has a control for enhanced definition, and I was able to tweak it and really bring out the cymbals, especially the hi-hats. The kit sounds much more balanced now, and after resetting some of the volume parameters on some of the kits, I'm really happy with how all of the individual kits that I use sound. For my needs at church, it's probably more than I need, but it will give me some headroom volume-wise if we play other, larger venues. I would love to see what it would be capable of running direct into a bigger sound system than we have.
All in all, I'm glad that I made the buy, and would definitely recommend it to anyone playing small to mid sized venues with an e-kit. Great amp!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice review! I have a Roland TD-12 kit that I'm considering using with a small amplifier. Up until recently I was set on the Simmons DA200S but like you, I've seen some good reviews of the KAT KA2. How does the sound from the amp compare to that under headphones? I've read numerous reports that you can't get that good headphone sound from one of these portable amps.

Luddite

Reaction score
Thanks! Truthfully, I haven't tried the amp with headphones. I typically wear Etymotic ear plugs plus muffs due to my tinnitus and hyperacusis. The amp is away from me about eight feet---I don't use it as a monitor as our stage volume is fairly low, but loud enough that it will aggravate my tinnitus unless I double up on the hearing protection. I can still hear it pretty well. All of our amplified sound is coming from the stage, none of it goes through the mains with the exception of our electric piano. As far as the amp goes, it really reminds me of my old band days playing out when we would use a large PA system and I could really feel the drums coming through the mains, especially the bass drum. I definitely wasn't getting that from the Behringer!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just a few more questions. What is the fit and finish like on this particular amp? Is it pretty "beefy" and looks like it will hold up well if transported to gigs? Also, I've not dealt with Hello Music before, although I get emails from them regularly. Was this thing packaged well in shipping? Thanks.

Luddite

Reaction score
I would consider it on the beefy side. It definitely looks more substantial than the Simmons to me. Fit and finish is pretty good, not comparable to Roland's drum amps (although you're not paying Roland prices, either). KAT does a pretty good job of protective packing---it was undamaged and in one piece. I ordered it from Hello Music on Sunday, had it on Thursday. It came from Texas to Northwest Ohio.

Reaction score
I think KAT as a brand is a great entryway for beginner drummers and intermediate people alike. I've played the KT-3 through the KA2 amp and the sounds are absolutely amazing. I would say better than a comparable Simmons model. The build of the KA2 is pretty beefy as well, holds up well under transporting and getting bounced around.