Keeping New Set in Pole Barn

Burnclinic

Reaction score
Hi y’all

I lurk here quite a lot and now I’m happy to say I have my first new kit on the way. As a gift to myself for getting my first job in my career field I splurged and got a Ludwig Classic maple pro beat 24 with Zildjian A’s (391).

my question is this. The last two years playing my buddies kit (Tama star classic) in his un-insulated, non-temperature controlled pole barn. We use a wood burning stove to heat it up in the winter when we’re out there playing. He is of the opinion that the drums will be fine. His star classic remains set up with no protection year round and he doesn’t notice any issues other than some dust. Is he right? I know instruments are finicky, especially when in environments with fluctuating temps and humidity. I want to know if I can leave my drums out there without worrying that they will be destroyed.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wth is a Pole Barn and number 2 just cover them with a sheet;

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
drums don't care too much about cold temperatures just don't go in if they're frozen the mylar heads will maybe snap first and won't want to hit the cymbals..Frozen

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to leave my drums set up in a non temp controlled pole barn?
drums don't care too much about cold temperatures just don't go in if they're frozen the mylar heads will maybe snap first and won't want to hit the cymbals..Frozen.
that's all I got.

10 Lug

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a wood fire eventually gets everything to smell like, you guessed it, a wood fire.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
A pole barn just means that the upright poles that are the main upright structure of the barn are sunk in the ground. You don't need to have any floor or foundation. A pole barn can be very fancy with a poured floor, insulated walls, etc. The biggest problem I would have is the extreme temperature changes all the time. My barn stays at a constant temperature.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Pole barn implies nothing about walls or insulation. It only describes the way the roof is held up. It could be a roof and no walls or it could be a foot of solid concrete, a vapor barrier, eight inches of foam and six feet of earth berm. It just means the roof is held up by poles and not the walls.

Burnclinic

Reaction score
Pole barn implies nothing about walls or insulation. It only describes the way the roof is held up. It could be a roof and no walls or it could be a foot of solid concrete, a vapor barrier, eight inches of foam and six feet of earth berm. It just means the roof is held up by poles and not the walls.
I said it’s in-insulated and non-temperature controlled. It has wood siding and concrete floors

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While it seems true that cold is less of an issue than heat for drums, I still wouldn't leave mine in an unheated shed in the winter. The only way I'd do that is if after every practice you break them down and put them in padded bags and then cover with a blanket. That's the very least I would do.

I had a situation a few years ago rehearsing in a garage that wasn't heated and I took my gear home every night after practice. It sucked to lug the stuff in and out once a week, and it wasn't even an expensive kit. I'm just not willing to take any chances.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where are you located. Using the term”pole barn”, I am presuming the Midwest? Is it a wrapped kit or wood finish? Having lived in Michigan and Alaska, I am inclined to NOT leave any of my kits in a non-climate controlled environment, but that’s me. Why take the chance. Warranty is not going to cover any issue that pops up (pardon the pun) that can be attributed to climate factors. Congrats, by the way!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with non temperature controlled spaces is humidity, unless you live in an arid climate. Your chrome will eventually start to pit, especially the parts that bumped, scratched, adjusted.

Burnclinic

Reaction score
Where are you located. Using the term”pole barn”, I am presuming the Midwest? Is it a wrapped kit or wood finish? Having lived in Michigan and Alaska, I am inclined to NOT leave any of my kits in a non-climate controlled environment, but that’s me. Why take the chance. Warranty is not going to cover any issue that pops up (pardon the pun) that can be attributed to climate factors. Congrats, by the way!
You would presume correctly! Northern Midwest where the Summers are hot and winters cold. The kit is wrapped so that is a concern. So is my buddies Tama though and his wraps are in great shape.

I’m mostly concerned about the drums warping