Keeping New Set in Pole Barn

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi y’all

I lurk here quite a lot and now I’m happy to say I have my first new kit on the way. As a gift to myself for getting my first job in my career field I splurged and got a Ludwig Classic maple pro beat 24 with Zildjian A’s (391).

my question is this. The last two years playing my buddies kit (Tama star classic) in his un-insulated, non-temperature controlled pole barn. We use a wood burning stove to heat it up in the winter when we’re out there playing. He is of the opinion that the drums will be fine. His star classic remains set up with no protection year round and he doesn’t notice any issues other than some dust. Is he right? I know instruments are finicky, especially when in environments with fluctuating temps and humidity. I want to know if I can leave my drums out there without worrying that they will be destroyed.
- Bad move, unless they are fiberglass or metal. Things expand and contract with heat and cold, which is bad for the long term well being of the instrument and your investment in it. I would not do this with any wood kit I valued.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am a relatively new drummer but have been in woodworking for a while. My experience is that temperature (and even worse humidity) negatively effect both solid wood and wood ply over time due to expansion and contraction, potentialy causing deformity and potentially cracking. And it also, in the case of drums, change the sound. Just my experience.The tama Start Classic is a nice set. Treat your baby well! Good luck!
Very well said.

Dave Patrick

Reaction score
Hi y’all

I lurk here quite a lot and now I’m happy to say I have my first new kit on the way. As a gift to myself for getting my first job in my career field I splurged and got a Ludwig Classic maple pro beat 24 with Zildjian A’s (391).

my question is this. The last two years playing my buddies kit (Tama star classic) in his un-insulated, non-temperature controlled pole barn. We use a wood burning stove to heat it up in the winter when we’re out there playing. He is of the opinion that the drums will be fine. His star classic remains set up with no protection year round and he doesn’t notice any issues other than some dust. Is he right? I know instruments are finicky, especially when in environments with fluctuating temps and humidity. I want to know if I can leave my drums out there without worrying that they will be destroyed.

Dave Patrick

Reaction score
I strongly recommend that you set up on a nice thick carpet,and cover them with a heavy sheet or light blanket when not in use.Drum finishes are suseptible to cold.Avoid extreme temps.The smart guitar players I know don't open their guitar case immediately when they bing it in from the cold,but let it stay indoors for a while.Once finishes are damaged,fixing them is expensive and never the same.Protect your babies..and your investment.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wth is a Pole Barn and number 2 just cover them with a sheet;
A shed is in fact better than a Pole Barn as it is usually constructed with framed stud walls of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber and covered with some type of sheathing like plywood, lap siding etc. Pole sheds have poles set vertically into the ground then 2x4 or 6 placed horizontally across the poles more often than not on 2ft, sometimes 3ft centers. The last 30 years most Pole Sheds were sheathed with ribbed 20 guage metal and of course not insulated. Large sliding doors allow entry of big equipment so all in all they are drafty and in really cold climates they because of metal siding and no insulation, generally colder inside than the outside air. I too
shiver at the thought of keeping any type of musical instrument in any unheated area. Brrrr