Keith Carlock

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mind blown. :bom:

Just got back from the Steely Dan show in CT. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen him...it never gets old. Such an amazing player, so fluid and such a unique style.

Any KC fans out there?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mind blown. :bom:

Just got back from the Steely Dan show in CT. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen him...it never gets old. Such an amazing player, so fluid and such a unique style.

Any KC fans out there?
Can’t remember if I first learned of him from “Everything Must Go” or from videos with Oz Noy and Will Lee. Very unique player.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Yes, I really dig Keith Carlock. He is indeed very unique.

Last edited:

Mcdonap

Reaction score
Yes! Keith is an awesome player! I've seen him with Steely Dan a bunch of times and he's always great. I'm sorry I couldn't get to the show last night in CT, but I've seen them there before. It's a really nice venue. (I was supposed to see Dream Theater there at the end of November, but they postponed the tour.)
I was going to see Keith with Toxic Monkey soon, but that tour got postponed. I've seen him with them as well, and he's incredible in that setting as well.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm really not into Steely Dan but this guy has an amazing feel and pocket on top of his tremendous facility. Was blown away by his 2 drums stuff with Stanton Moore.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was really into him like 7 years ago. I went out a bought a couple pairs of his sticks, watched a bunch of vids of him online. And I was trying to apply his idea of being more “bouncy” on the drums. I also was trying to tune my drums more openly like he does but didn’t have much luck. He’s the only one that can pull that off.

tstinson

Reaction score
Have only witnessed Mr. Carlock through Steely Dan videos and then a week-long Google dive. You're right, Ryan. To take it all in is one thing; to duplicate? Whoa.

I used his sticks too. Tiny tip and thin taper. But perfect for a guy in a two-drummer band, when you're trying to sound different.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Yep, saw him with SD with some corporate tickets, a lavish everything supplied scenario, quite a few years ago now. This may sound harsh, and I'm a huge SD fan, but honestly they were average at best, maybe an off night... and it would have sounded like elevator music, if it wasn't for Keith Carlock. He was amazing, just incredible. A few songs in, my Wife looked at me a said... "wow, the drummer is really good" and I nodded. But he still couldn't do it all on his own, so we left early.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 529171

With one of the few Oak Absolute Nouveau kits made, back when he played with Yamaha Drums.

View attachment 529172
I did some research and found that somebody had that exact oak custom in natural maple that Keith Carlock did advertisements with for sale on eBay. They claimed that there was only two in existence and his is the one in the pictures. Keith ordered one also but didn’t have the nouveau lugs. Here it is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Oak...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did some research and found that somebody had that exact oak custom in natural maple that Keith Carlock did advertisements with for sale on eBay. They claimed that there was only two in existence and his is the one in the pictures. Keith ordered one also but didn’t have the nouveau lugs. Here it is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Oak...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Yes, I missed out on that when it was for sale. A real shame.

His had nouveau lugs too,but a different badge:
1637500554184.png

1637500590377.png

1637507083239.png

Yamaha made some Oak Nouveau kits for artists. Apprently it didn't catched on enough so they never went through with it.

Here is the one made for Chris Johnson of Rihanna:

1637507159217.png

www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Oak-Custom-Absolute-Black-Pearl-Fade-Drums-16-18-FlToms-22-Kick-Japanese-/262023660023?_mwBanner=1

Unfortunately it missed the rack toms.

One was selling in Australia too:
1637500824699.png

I think it started back in the early 00's with the kit of Gordon/Teddy Cambell which had a Absolute finish and Nouveau lugs, but a regular Oak badge:
1637500723038.png

Last edited: