Keith Moon isolated tracks

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a vibe. Definitely the right band for the right drummer.

I made sure to admonish myself, though, at a young age that if I every attempted to play like that I’d certainly spend more time playing alone than with other musicians.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like he said himself, he was the best Keith Moon-type drummer in the world. Many many things have been said about the Loon. Boring ain't one of 'em.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whatever man. Maybe something is wrong with my ears, but I think Moon is musical & perfect within the dynamic of the Who.

The later stuff is mostly featured in that article & it's not my favorite Moon or Who stuff ('cept the live at Leeds). I like black & white, post High Numbers maximum r&b The Who.

The way he plays Happy Jack is pretty orchestral to me.

moonbabie

Reaction score
lol,sounds like moon yelling as he plays a fill in a few spots throughout the song 1:41 is one of them..

Last edited:

langmick

Reaction score
I love the way he and Roger complement each other and capture the feeling of Pete's lyrics and music. You can hear what Neil heard in tunes like this. Really musical. Those fills kill me, Quadrophenia is a masterpiece.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moon was genius. Like Buddy, his offstage persona has gotten all the press, especially since his death. But listen to what he played on Won't Get Fooled Again. It's incredible, and he managed to groove to a sequencer. Again, it's one of those "try to play it kind of like he did it...not too hard...try to play it exactly like he did it... next to impossible."

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disturbing.
would be another word I'd use I don't think he was much concerned about :drums" at all. Not saying he was a "bad" person
But in his drumming I hear something (that runs thru out constantly.

Disturbing.
Should thank your lucky stars you "can't play" it like him or can't reproduce it like him.

I hear (the mind of) a disturbed individual
nothing to do about drums.

He gets off a little triplet with the hand and
sometimes with the feet
to get his gear
back in sync.

But he was disturbed
no doubt in my mind
is how I'll see him

RIP
sincerely

Last edited:

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Moon was unique, inspired and a free spirt. He played like that - totally free and uninhibited in the moment - and it fit The Who perfectly. We're talking about a band that wrote and recorded "Boris the Spider" and not something in a Ken Burns documentary with a romantic Marsalis and old K vibe best viewed by the fire with a curled pinky around a top shelf brandy.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disturbing.
would be another word I'd use I don't think he was much concerned about :drums" at all. Not saying he was a "bad" person
But in his drumming I hear something (that runs thru out constantly.

Disturbing.
Should thank your lucky stars you "can't play" it like him or can't reproduce it like him.

I hear (the mind of) a disturbed individual
nothing to do about drums.

He gets off a little triplet with the hand and
sometimes with the feet
to get his gear
back in sync.

But he was disturbed
no doubt in my mind
is how I'll see him

RIP
sincerely
That’s an interesting take , I was shocked to see his stuff transcribed . It looks pretty impressive on paper ....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to see his stuff transcribed
where's that..
I been listening to him since 1966-67 read every interview over the decades have all the albums etc

passed away at age 32 almost unthinkable to have such a short life (Sad
and just wonder in 2021 if would have been diagnosed with some condition.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
where's that..
I been listening to him since 1966-67 read every interview over the decades have all the albums etc

passed away at age 32 almost unthinkable to have such a short life (Sad
A drum magazine ..Can’t remember the exact one .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can hear what he's playing---like Townsend said in that article- he took that personna (or that reality) all thru his life. into all aspects.
Almost a Syd Barrett but a loud (in life) extrovert version maybe.
Moon the loon is derogatory but might have had some clinical basis..

It's just we have to realize these are human beings whether it's Moon or Jeff Porcaro or Elvin Jones. Not supernatural not born with extra digits mentally or physically... Just human beings. and all that entails. (I mean ) (the) worship is outta hand sometimes. Appreciate yes support of course, worship hmm not sure. they're men (or women) Same as everyone in some aspect. And some (like this) are Outta hand in other (call it when it's appropo) (for their own safety..) lol

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said himself had he not been rich and famous they’d have locked him up .