Keith Moon isolated tracks

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean for his own good.. yeah ok. May have saved him.
32. 32. That's like a young adult. and he's gone. Tragic.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean for his own good.. yeah ok. May have saved him.
32. 32. That's like a young adult. and he's gone. Tragic.
I’m sure glad I never got that bad with alchohol or drugs .

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure glad I never got that bad with alchohol or drugs .
Alch-a-what?

I don't think it's the alcohol or drugs that were the cause, they were the symptom. Self destructive personalities will be self destructive regardless of the medium.

It's very sad, I think everyone knows someone who is self destructive to a degree. I don't know how they can be helped.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ace Frehley used to mention he shared Pete Townshend’s style of time keeping. And it’s evident that so much of Moon’s playing had to be as bombastic to go with the lead/rhythm of Pete. In the end, when one poster used the words “orchestral”, that is a good, one-word description. If one were to do a Who impersonation band (I don’t like the word “tribute”), the guitar player would be just as responsible for the off timing AND sync it with the drumming, if possible. I could see a band getting the sound perfect, but all the soul would be gone. And impersonating Keith’s playing could almost sound like a caricature. That is why iterations of the Who post-Moon just were meh.

Yes, Keith was plagued with illness, whether it was his extreme alcoholism, mental health issues or the drugs they prescribed to calm his appetite for alcohol, he very much knew he was his own worst enemy. Had he been born 30 years later, medicine (talking the profession) may have been able to give him a long, fruitful life, or not. RIP

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keith was a force of nature, not a technician. His drumming was 100% perfect for the Who. Nothing else would have fit. I have heard a lot of isolated drum tracks and they all sound somewhat out of place by themselves. The most disturbing drum tracks I have heard involved a cold garage, mittens and a space heater. Keith is playing something that fit the music.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Interesting... the Tom mount is unmistakably Rogers but the shell hardware looks different.any idea what the drum brand could be?
1613932834193.jpeg

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting... the Tom mount is unmistakably Rogers but the shell hardware looks different.any idea what the drum brand could be? View attachment 486207
It was very common for drummers to add Rogers hardware to everything as it was the gold standard for rock drummers. Keith always used Premier drums with Rogers hardware. Premier may have started making hardware that was strong enough for Keith Moon later on.

Also- that was his earlier configuration of two bass, three rack (8x14” so-called tuna cans) and three floor toms. This was basically the basis of all of his kits, no matter how many concert toms (6” usually held sticks and other things) from the late 60s onward to his death.

Last edited:

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Disturbing.
would be another word I'd use I don't think he was much concerned about :drums" at all. Not saying he was a "bad" person
But in his drumming I hear something (that runs thru out constantly.

Disturbing.
Should thank your lucky stars you "can't play" it like him or can't reproduce it like him.

I hear (the mind of) a disturbed individual
nothing to do about drums.

He gets off a little triplet with the hand and
sometimes with the feet
to get his gear
back in sync.

But he was disturbed
no doubt in my mind
is how I'll see him

RIP
sincerely
-------------------------------------
Yes he was very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, naughty.

e.g.

Reaction score
Too me......................Keith Moon was one of the most "musical" drummers I've ever heard! He listened to what Pete Townshend was playing, and reacted! Obviously he wasn't one of those "technique", "math rock", "drum soloists" etc....., but he made some of my most favorite music FLYING BY THE SEAT OF HIS PANTS!!! Keith's intro and performance on "Amazing Journey" on the "Tommy" album is fantastic, and it's just one of many amazing recorded performances!!!

Last edited:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Moon was genius. Like Buddy, his offstage persona has gotten all the press, especially since his death. But listen to what he played on Won't Get Fooled Again. It's incredible, and he managed to groove to a sequencer. Again, it's one of those "try to play it kind of like he did it...not too hard...try to play it exactly like he did it... next to impossible."
Listen to The Who join together recording and you'll hear Simon Phillips play it better than Moon did.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disturbing.
would be another word I'd use I don't think he was much concerned about :drums" at all. Not saying he was a "bad" person
But in his drumming I hear something (that runs thru out constantly.

Disturbing.
Should thank your lucky stars you "can't play" it like him or can't reproduce it like him.

I hear (the mind of) a disturbed individual
nothing to do about drums.

He gets off a little triplet with the hand and
sometimes with the feet
to get his gear
back in sync.

But he was disturbed
no doubt in my mind
is how I'll see him

RIP
sincerely
That's not the sound of "disturbed"; that's the sound of "fearless", which has been completely missing from drumming in pop music for the past 30 years.