Keith Moon isolated tracks

itsjjp

Reaction score
I echo the references to a jazz artist. Somewhere on here, I said as much when someone was dissing Moon for being wasted during a live performance and saying he was overrated if I remember correctly. He had a decidedly unique approach to rock music. We was indeed an artist, painting a soundscape, filling space like nobody else, leaving space where others would have played. He was gregarious and it came through in their music. Yet he could be extraordinary subtle and tasteful. He was clearly a sensitive man who I wish would have sought help to sort out his head and stop abusing his health and well-being. Original, artful, human.

FRP123

Reaction score
As a beginning drummer I listened to Keith and tried to figure out how he did that. Later, standing next to him onstage and watching him play did not help to solve the mystery. It was is if my my eyes and ears were out of sync. What I heard did not match what I saw. It looked effortless, but was so complicated. It was not always easy, though. During the Lifehouse rehersals they practiced over and over trying to sync with a recorded backing track and it did not go well. Keith's column monitors were so loud I thought his ears would bleed. I've pushed loud monitors at lots of performers, but his were frightening. His drumming was so out of the norm that those characterizing it as jazz are, I believe, accurate. Talking to him was a whole 'nother thing. He would seem sincere, but was continuously trying to be clever. And he tried so hard. It was unnecessary and painful to watch. I hope he is resting in peace.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listen to The Who join together recording and you'll hear Simon Phillips play it better than Moon did.
All of the “Join Together” tracks are intricately and expertly played. They have no where near the originality and excitement of the moon versions. At least to my ears.

Reaction score
As a beginning drummer I listened to Keith and tried to figure out how he did that. Later, standing next to him onstage and watching him play did not help to solve the mystery. It was is if my my eyes and ears were out of sync. What I heard did not match what I saw. It looked effortless, but was so complicated. It was not always easy, though. During the Lifehouse rehersals they practiced over and over trying to sync with a recorded backing track and it did not go well. Keith's column monitors were so loud I thought his ears would bleed. I've pushed loud monitors at lots of performers, but his were frightening. His drumming was so out of the norm that those characterizing it as jazz are, I believe, accurate. Talking to him was a whole 'nother thing. He would seem sincere, but was continuously trying to be clever. And he tried so hard. It was unnecessary and painful to watch. I hope he is resting in peace.
Only The Lonely... It really is sad that towards the end of such a short but brilliant life he had become almost a caricature of himself, similar to Robin Williams', expected to be 'on' all the time, feeling that entertaining everyone with their iconic, spontaneously combustible brand of 'themselves' was the only way to be accepted or of value in a social setting. Dreading those interactions because of it. 'Can't you see the real me, Doctor...

thedrumdoctoruk

Reaction score
just wonder in 2021 if would have been diagnosed with some condition.
From reading the 'Dear Boy' biography, he probably had the undiagnosed/unknown (at the time) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. So may children would have gone undiagnosed and simply labelled as, 'a naughty child'.

Strangely enough, I was born 15 days after Keith's daughter was born, in the same hospital! Back then, mothers spent 7-10 days in hospital after giving birth so I doubt the paths of Keith's wife and my mum crossed!

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
He played, as the kids today would say, at "full send." Maybe Moon was a legit madman. I'm fine with that. He was his own madman with his own issues. At least he didn't take on some other lunatic's issues to placate their imbalances. When you hear him play, you hear him play. That's how The Who played though, and that's why they're one of the few older bands that I can still listen to.

Maybe he would've been diagnosed with something today, and been given drugs for it, quit The Who, and joined a mento band. Then again, some of those drugs push people over the edge in the other direction too.

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
A very talented drummer friend of mine was obsessed with Quadraphenia when it came out. Until then I had always loved The Who but thought the drumming was crazy. My friend was figuring out the parts and when I listened to him I realized how great Moon really was.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Always considered Keith one of my favorite drummers. But never liked any of his solos. He seemed lost without the music. I don’t actually see many of the solos out there but the few that exist are really not very good.
Just the guts and courage to play that style as far back as 1964 I think is amazing.
I never tire of listening to him. Quadrophenia may be my favorite it’s the brink of insanity.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Always considered Keith one of my favorite drummers. But never liked any of his solos. He seemed lost without the music. I don’t actually see many of the solos out there but the few that exist are really not very good.
Just the guts and courage to play that style as far back as 1964 I think is amazing.
I never tire of listening to him. Quadrophenia may be my favorite it’s the brink of insanity.
---------------------------------

Keith stated in interviews that drum solos bored him. He played for the ensemble, though I used to have a vinyl bootleg of a live Who concert that included the swingin'-est version of Baby Don't You Do It I ever heard with solo breaks by Keith that demonstrated his sublime ability to take it away on his own given the right song. Far surpassing the bonus track version with Leslie West that was included in the Who's Next rerelease. They all swang in a way I never heard before or since. Keith was the reason.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He was perfect with The Who. Unfortunately though, Keith ended up confusing being 'a musician' to mean abusing yourself to any excess that comes your way.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and there it is..

single bass action.

1967 double bass:

one more 1965 single bass

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just kills it on Heatwave ...
Looks like Keith is more than a crazy player huh ? He’s seems quite versatile if you watch those vids JDA posted ...

langmick

Reaction score
one more 1965 single bass
Damn that was SMOKIN. Some hip drum sh*t right there.

It's hard to watch the 77 an 78 Moon, he wasn't the same player and lost some of his manic creativity. He was a Ringo-esque genius. Something about British rock rummers from the 607's and 70's, had an extra bit of creativity. Bruford, Simon, Clives, Dave, Mick, so much originality.

Tarkus

Reaction score
...Like Elvin, he was fearless.
Very well said.

But I think that many other 'fearless drummers' were immediately banned out of studios, kicked out of their own bands or being sent directly to the jazz room.

Anyway, he's one of my heroes during youth (which hopefully never ends).

Thanks for posting these isolated drum tracks. Unbelievable, the yelling and everything. Pure energy.

The only thing I don't get is the misspelled 'Kieth' in the thread title.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keith's drumming I brilliant!
The way he plays for the song - some things with the bass, some accenting the lyrics and a whole lot with the guitar. He really brings the songs to life.
And his playing to prerecorded tracks later on, before it was standard routine, is equally brilliant, with his own type of playing "around" the timing of the recorded parts.
Watch his output in this show - o m g!!! How does he stretch backwards on his seat that way without falling? And the stamina!
And the showmanship! And last but not least - so very, very musically played!