Keller maple vs Keller mahogany

HowardW

Reaction score
Good evening!

I'm thinking about having a 10" tom made for my 1963 Slingerland set. I already have a set made from Keller maple shells (made by Precision Drums) and I like their tuning versatility. But Keller also has a line of mahogany shells, and I wonder if the tones would be "closer" to my Slingerland set.

Has anybody ever used the Keller mahogany shells? Any advice?

Thanks!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't used them but have heard them. I would think that, especially with the correct Sling-type bearing edge, it would work pretty darn well.

Actually, have you looked into Chicago Drum Company? They have the actual original Slingerland shell molds and build in that tradition. They could probably build you something as close to the real thing as possible.

I love Precision and have been up there numerous times over the years for different projects, but Chicago is really working more directly in the Slingerland lineage.

Reactions: egw

HowardW

Reaction score
Charlesm, I thought about Chicago Drum (and in fact I chat occasionally with Jim Moritz on the Facebook/Slingerland group) but I've never done business with them. My 2018 kit was custom made by Precision for me (Slingerland/vintage style: 6 ply, 6 ply re-rings, rounded edges) so I thought of them first.

But I've also been reading and finding articles claiming that modern "mahogany" is really luan. And other articles saying luan is just a rumor.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are some lower-end drum lines that tout the use of "Phillipine mahogany"...which IS luan and not a true mahogany.

But I'm pretty sure any higher-end mahogany shell, i.e., Ludwig Legacy Mahogany, Keller Vintage, Chicago, etc., is using true mahogany.

It's also pretty easy to distinguish real mahogany from luan. Luan has a much more coarse, soft, brittle grain texture.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't used them but have heard them. I would think that, especially with the correct Sling-type bearing edge, it would work pretty darn well.

Actually, have you looked into Chicago Drum Company? They have the actual original Slingerland shell molds and build in that tradition. They could probably build you something as close to the real thing as possible.

I love Precision and have been up there numerous times over the years for different projects, but Chicago is really working more directly in the Slingerland lineage.

I think you mean Stone Custom Drums. They bought the Slingerlands shell molds.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you mean Stone Custom Drums. They bought the Slingerlands shell molds.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction. Had completely forgotten about them.

Definitely another resource to check out. Two great options there, then, if you're looking for something in the true Slingerland style.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check with John Ollis. He bought out the complete Slingerland inventory from Gibson and has been selling off kits and singles. A while back he was offering 7X10 Studio King toms (maple with cast hoops) for stupid-low prices. I bought one myself and the quality is first rate. You simply cannot build one for the price he was charging.

John Ollis (NEA Music on ebay): 870-761-0875

****By the way - John is now thinning out his original Delmar/Slingerland wrap material. This is the original Nashville/Conway-era wrap specially made for Slingerland. For example, large chip pearls. You can contact him at the number above. Once this material is gone, that's it. There will be no more supplies.

GeeDeeEmm

HowardW

Reaction score
I remember John's warehouse! :) In my case, I'm going to wrapping the new tom in BDP, and John's toms were too gorgeous to wrap.

I did find a 12" 70s tom (3 ply) on Reverb and made an offer. Maybe I can tune it high enough to get some tonal separation and not choke the drum. When I had my Avante set, I always had problems tuning the 10, 12, 13 and 14 to get enough tonal separation.

Latest posts