Kelly SHU microphone mount

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Kelly SHU mount in my bass drum for years with great success. Recently they came out with a mounting method to install the Kelly SHU in floor toms and run the wiring though the vent. I ordered my new Gretsch USA Custom kit with this in mind, I had Gretsch install a second badge/vent on each floor tom. Here is an inside shot of the installation.

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is the difference on a floor time shu? Size? I have been using the mount in Rogers Big R bass drum with a bit of creative placement due to the center pole mount. Different size might make a difference for me.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
That’s cool. Was there a reason you didn’t just install an XLR jack in the shell?
Not OP, but I've done it both ways...

The Panel jack is nice, but it can be a real PITA getting it securely mounted, especially on a thin shell. It also leaves the jack and shell vulnerable to a cable-jerk or over-insertion, which can blow out the entire operation. And, it's 2x the connections (internal cable from mic to panel jack, with solders on each end - then a whole 'nother cable to the snake or board) - it creates twice the opportunity for a failure, especially on a drum which is constantly vibrating. Ask me how I know this... ;)

Honestly? After drilling and mounting panels in both my CM and YSC kits - the YSC kit blew out the inner ply when an-overzealous sound engineer rammed an oversized connector in the drum. Complete blow-out. Done. Now I just have a 1" hole behind my spur to pass the cable thru :( The CM has held, and I use that jack all the time. But the softer inner ply on the YSC did not handle the panel mounting very well. There's just not enough enough wood to "bite" into and even with tiny holes and mini bolts/locking nuts on the inside, there's just not a lot of room to truly secure the jack the way I would like.

When I did my toms, I simply used the vent hole. I didn't see the point in drilling a giant hole in a 13 or 14 or 16" tom, when I can simply run the cable thru the vent hole. Totally reversible if necessary, and just as transparent.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got it, makes sense. Noted in case I do anything similar down the road!

The only internal mic I use currently is in the bass, and I positioned a hole in the reso head for the cable to go through.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
My CM toms have dual badges and vent holes, so I'm not "clogging" the air travel with an XLR cable running thru one, and even if I only had one vent, it doesn't fill the entire hole so air can still move around and not choke the drum. It actually worked out really well, since I used the grommet hole that's facing me (back side of the drum when mounted) and it's completely invisible. Floor tom only has one badge, and it just comes out the front and down to the floor.

FYI, I used the $20 Gibraltar "internal bass drum mic mount" for my toms, with some rubber fender washers to help isolate it from the shell. Shu didn't have a tom option at the time. Mics are e604s, facing down towards the reso head at about a 45* angle. Don't point them up at the batter, unless you want stick "tip smacking plastic head" as your primary sound option ;) Roll off the high end and contour the mid-range EQ a bit - you will be blown away at how good this sounds. :D

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a standard Kelly Shu in a 16" Rogers floor tom with no issues. (It's for a cocktail kit.) I assume the new Shu model for floor toms is slightly smaller than the standard one?

01 Kelly Shu Installed.jpg

02 SuperkickI Mounted.jpg

03 Mic Pigtail.jpg

05 Assembled View From Bottom.jpg

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
I've been all over the 'net, including kellyshu.com

I don't see "tom sized" internal mounts, or actually *any* offering that's not a kick drum SHU mount.

I don't think they exist, unless someone has a prototype or something.

Am I wrong? Or are we all going down a rabbit hole that doesn't exist?

Someone - show me a Shu that's made for toms, please... LOL

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just on the phone with KellyShu. They only make one size houseshoe mount. It will work down to a 14" tom with the straps supplied with the order of the shu.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did this myself for $5.00 plus the cord. I ran mine out one of the spur casings. My bass drum has 4 spur mounts but I only need 2. It was fairly easy to do as well. I thought about using a small bracket similar to what the Kelly package provides, but I just left the cord length and velcro it for safekeeping when packing and stuff.
20190624_133120.jpg
20190624_141022.jpg
20190624_141830.jpg
20190624_141823.jpg
20190624_143523.jpg

Last edited:

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Just on the phone with KellyShu. They only make one size houseshoe mount. It will work down to a 14" tom with the straps supplied with the order of the shu.
Ok that's what I was seeing. There's no "tom" mount. It's a bass drum mount with smaller straps, and won't work in a rack tom.

Until Shu comes out with a 1/2 scale version of the original, the Gibraltar internal mic mounts and some isolation washers is still the best option for internal mics, IMO - without paying thru the nose for the May system.