header.nohb.html

Kelly Shu

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Changing things up a bit on both of my gig kits. I’m going to install the Kelly Shu kits in both of my kick drums and start mic’ing them internally. My kick was mic’d internally at Saturday’s show and I really like the sound it produced. I should have it all set up and ready to go for our next show.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Kelly SHU, I use Shure Beta 52A mics mounted on Kelly SHUs in multiple bass drums. I use Kelly SHUs to mount Beta 56 mics in some of my floor toms too. (As shown below.)

1625063490236.png

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you folks use a Beta 52 with that mount?

I used to use an original Beta52 and it was a challenge. Note - that's the Beta52, not the current Beta52A. The original B52 had the XLR jack and stand mount too close together, so it was a challenge to use on some stands. The Kelly Shu is one of these problematic stands. It works, but it's an extremely tight fit (and required me to file down part of the cable's XLR connector)

The new B52A is fine -- they're increased the space between the mount/jack. (I say "new", and I should say "current" -- it was updated way back in 2002 (!))

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What heads and muffling do you usually use?
Coated P3 on the batter side, Coated Ambassador on the Reso side. Solid front head i.e. no porting.

Evans EQ Pad inside "slightly" touching the batter and reso heads, so there's plenty of "tone" but not too boomy. I use this set-up for all my bass drums. Give it a try.

DC17A43E-E6D5-4C32-9BE7-328EA283F47E.jpeg

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
I have both the Kelly Shu PRO and Kelly Shu FLATZ mounts installed in my three bass drums. Running either an Audio-Technica ATM25 or Telefunken M82 microphone with a Sennheiser e 901 boundary microphone. Feeding the custom mic jumper cable through a 2-inch Bass Drum O's Hole Ring.

SHUdual2LoRes.jpg
Reso&2%22PortLoRes450dpi.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those asking about the Memriloc setup around the pole. As noted already, some mic have a problem with the mount and mic connection close together. The DX6 worked with a mic clip while a couple of others with dual connectors on the mic itself did not.

IMG_20200225_103010241.jpg
IMG_20200225_103047049.jpg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, love Kelly Shu’s! And that’s the problem with having multiple kits. I like small ports (usually 4”) and it’s just a hassle swapping out bass mics using the KS’s live. I do have one in my studio kit. Kit doesn’t get moved.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I made a homebrew version but the concept is the same. I have them in three of my kits while the fourth kit has a solid bracket mount. Beta 52 in two of them and a cheapy (but surprisingly decent) Digital Reference BD mic in the other two. I also installed an XLR jack panel mount on two of my main gigging kits for extra ease of use.

Heads vary, but typically an Aquarian SKI or SKII on the batter and an Aquarian reso. At most a felt strip on the reso side. If I need to, I'll roll up a towel between the pedal posts and batter head.

tapotti

Reaction score
I use one with a Beta 52a. Have no idea if it's positioned optimally, but it works!

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for the Kelly Shu.

And it’s incredible that Shure overlooked the issue with the XLR connector being too close to the mic stand receptacle on the initial run of Beta 52s. The “52A” was released not long after the non-A version.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one in one of my kicks and it works really well. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the solid reso head (black) the same size as the xlr jack, and just feed 3’ mic cable through that. I then connect a regular length mic cable to run to the snake.