Kent drums

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Kent drum kits or snare drums for sale right now?
There was a lot of activity a few years ago, but it seems everyone is holding on to them.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent Drum Group Facebook. You probably have to join

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen the past 2 years, most of the kits for sale on the Kent FB site are priced well up there in the $400-$700 range.. And in the event one shows up attractively priced, there are enough Kent members scattered around the country
for one of them to buy it as soon as they see it posted. I picked up mine 2 yrs ago with orig hardware from a vintage drum shop for $200.....1 owner and in very good shape. After a year of ownership I flipped it for $250 after supplying another set of heads and
25 hours cleaning/polishing up the kit (found an MIJ 60s bop kit I liked better). Listings from local drum dealer, regional CL/FB or Ebay is what I would keep an eye on. If you do a methodical search every day, eventually one will fall into your lap at the right price.
Round foil badges - blue (60's) or white (50's to early 60's).

Kent 1968 drum set 1.jpg

Last edited:

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Kent snare drums I could part with for about $40 bucks apiece. A steel and a mahogany.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wayno: Be careful. The KENT drums from the late 60s and early 70s were merely MIJ kits from Japan with the KENT badge...they arent the nice drums built in Kenmore NY with the good shells, and are not worth much. Also, try to get a bass drum with regular wooden hoops and not the triple flanged metal hoops which just dont look nice.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wayno: Be careful. The KENT drums from the late 60s and early 70s were merely MIJ kits from Japan with the KENT badge...they arent the nice drums built in Kenmore NY with the good shells, and are not worth much. Also, try to get a bass drum with regular wooden hoops and not the triple flanged metal hoops which just dont look nice.
This is actually only partially true. Yes the drums from the 70’s (starting at a certain point although I’m not clear of the exact date) were imported Tama/Star made drums. But the shells were actually quite good although different than the Kenmore made drums. The Kenmore shell is a two ply shell made from one single ply of maple wrapped twice around. These shells often have messy glue inside and some don’t have any bearing edge or only a sanded edge. The lugs were decent but the rims, bd hoops and mounting hardware are all low end. The MIJ shells are a thicker multi-ply shell with a rounded bearing edge. The hardware is typical 70’s mij although the lugs are a cool Sonor copy. The Kenmore drums have their advocates but many are beginning to appreciate the MIJ sets also.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks....there is a lot of reason to be concerned when dealing with these drums. If you find a "good one" you will have a beautiful ,sweet sounding drum, however there is a ton of uncertainty as well.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is actually only partially true. Yes the drums from the 70’s (starting at a certain point although I’m not clear of the exact date) were imported Tama/Star made drums. But the shells were actually quite good although different than the Kenmore made drums. The Kenmore shell is a two ply shell made from one single ply of maple wrapped twice around. These shells often have messy glue inside and some don’t have any bearing edge or only a sanded edge. The lugs were decent but the rims, bd hoops and mounting hardware are all low end. The MIJ shells are a thicker multi-ply shell with a rounded bearing edge. The hardware is typical 70’s mij although the lugs are a cool Sonor copy. The Kenmore drums have their advocates but many are beginning to appreciate the MIJ sets also.
Does that mean they will be priced like any other MIJ drum?....I think USA Kents are famous for nasty hardware, but if the shells are at least decent, they can be fantastic.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first set was a Kent. Wish I still had it. I did get one just like it
amboyds.jpg
IMG_0437.JPG (nostalgia). It would take a lot for me to part with the recent one. I don't know what happened to the first one......
IMG_0437.JPG

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lanebun: were you guys a Surf Band?
Not really a surf band, but we did do some of that. This was 1966, so we "tried" to do what was hip at the time. Some we did well, some not. We did win the reginal battle of the bands though.......

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not really a surf band, but we did do some of that. This was 1966, so we "tried" to do what was hip at the time. Some we did well, some not. We did win the reginal battle of the bands though.......
...on the night they had the battle of the bands.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
A surf band?? where do you see that..lol
I was thinking more of a Ukranian wedding band....love the boots!!

Because they are wearing crossties.....which many surf bands wore, including mine.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score

Lane: tell me if I'm right: You played "Pipeline", "Wipeout" and "Walk, Don't Run" and "Secret Agent Man"....