KENT DRUMS

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my first set Christmas 1968.
They were bought second hand so were probably made in 66/67.
This set was orange sparkle and has the steel bass hoops discussed by the original poster. Hey maybe they're my old set!
Many beginners in western New York played Kent drums, and i played my first gigs with them. They were good to me back then but was glad to move on to a more professional quality set a few years later.
I visited the factory once to buy some replacement parts probably 71 or 72 and in my memory the factory looked similar to a two bay auto repair shop with an attached office space. I remember that some of the drums there looked different then mine.
I guess they were in the transition period to Jap imports. I not sure if any production was going on when I was there, but if there was I didn't see any.

scan0001.jpg

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This picture was taken as a promo shot for the local Public Television station, so I guess there may be some audio and video out there somewhere. The two guitarists on the left and I were in this same band for 7 years with a parade of bass players and horn players. One of the bass players says there is some recordings out there of a later incarnation of the group, but he hasn't sent them to me yet.

Awesome! I hope you are able to find the video, especially. For me, its always a wonderful thing to see and hear recording made when I was a teenager. I do have some stuff, including me playing at Maxes Kansas City when I was 20.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my first set Christmas 1968.
They were bought second hand so were probably made in 66/67.
This set was orange sparkle and has the steel bass hoops discussed by the original poster. Hey maybe they're my old set!
Many beginners in western New York played Kent drums, and i played my first gigs with them. They were good to me back then but was glad to move on to a more professional quality set a few years later.
I visited the factory once to buy some replacement parts probably 71 or 72 and in my memory the factory looked similar to a two bay auto repair shop with an attached office space. I remember that some of the drums there looked different then mine.
I guess they were in the transition period to Jap imports. I not sure if any production was going on when I was there, but if there was I didn't see any.

View attachment 409466.

Are you playing 'Daydream Believer"?? :)

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny to see this thread after over 8 years at the bottom of the heap! One of my very first posts. Also love the fact that Tommy Wells chimed in... God rest his soul.