Kentville Kangaroo heads

Steele

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the interest guys. To address a couple of queries: 14" heads are available from Steve Weiss Music and Philadelphia Drums and Percussion in PA. Main Drag Music in Brooklyn will also be stocking in the next month and I'll be announcing more stateside dealers in February. Across the UK we have six stockists, best to google for your closest option.

In terms of price, US shop prices differ to UK shop prices as all UK imports incur sizeable VAT, which my US stores do not. Most US stockists retail 14" heads at $82 USD. I do also sell direct worldwide, which can work out cost effective on orders of two or more heads. Sound files are available on my website. Tone is quite similar to calf, but kangaroo hide is unrivalled in its strength relative to its thickness. It is the strongest commercially used animal hide in the world and all my heads are traditionally lapped to solid aluminium hoops which gives them great strength compared to traditional wooden flesh hoops or crimped aluminium hoops.

I try to keep my prices as affordable as possible, but these are of course a completely handmade product comprised of relatively expensive materials that are labour intensive to work with. When looking at the complete range of rawhide heads on the market, Kentville heads fall into the mid-range category. Something I'm proud to have achieved given the quality of Kentville heads is comparable to the most expensive brands available and many of my orchestral players have switched from those more expensive brands, which is certainly a testament to that. The price won't suit everyone, but I would encourage US buyers to check out the shops above and not be too put off by the UK prices.

Once again, anyone with any concerns or curiosity about the acquisition of kangaroo hides and how and why kangaroos are culled in Australia, please feel free to contact me and I'll gladly forward some info.

Lastly, if you've wrangled a NAMM badge, be sure to stop by booth #6836 to say hi to me and the Black Swamp Percussion team. I'll have stacks of free BD patches and other fine goodies.

Steele

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From what I understand with calf skin heads after gigs drummers had to loosen the heads to protect them from cracking due to humidity changes. Will this be the same with Kangaroo heads?

$82.00 for a 14" drum head. If it last 5 years that's only $16.40 a year. I'm changing heads on my toms now that are 2 years old.

Gerry, what are you using on the reso side of your snare? And what are most drummers using on the reso side of the toms?

sherm

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
CherryClassic said:
From what I understand with calf skin heads after gigs drummers had to loosen the heads to protect them from cracking due to humidity changes. Will this be the same with Kangaroo heads?

$82.00 for a 14" drum head. If it last 5 years that's only $16.40 a year. I'm changing heads on my toms now that are 2 years old.

Gerry, what are you using on the reso side of your snare? And what are most drummers using on the reso side of the toms?

sherm

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
CherryClassic said:

sherm
Hi sorry I hit post before I typed a reply.. apologies..
I an using a Ludwig weathermaster reso snare side.. which came with my Ludwig Classic Maple.. but I use weathermaster snare sides on all my snares as I love them and have 3 boxed still in my spares cupboard.
I have ordered another Roo head destined for my DW jazz series.. but the DW is so dialled in that the remo/DW logo snare side I am not messing with... the Roo head is like nothing I have experienced before and I love it.. it did take a few days to bed/stretch in.. but now is perfect..warm and very fat but supremely toneful..

Gerry

jazzerprm

Reaction score

Im going to throw one of these on my 1930s Carlton King NOB. I think that it's gonna be killer .

If you havent heard these heads yet check out this video... Great stuff, wonderful demo.

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzerprm

Reaction score
In the pouch it is...! I tried one of these heads @ Drumshack (not sure if medium or heavy) on the Luddy 400 COB that they talk about in the video. (Great drum shop btw, if you are in London check it out.) Sounded and felt incredible. Definite warmth and fatness that plastic heads are unable to emulate. Really excellent sound. And an amazing feel too, much softer or spongier, in a really good way. It kinda felt like the sticks were slightly sinking into the head. The man Mark played them for a few secs with brushes, and it sounded so sweet and old school jazzy. Top notch, but at a price. As they say... its an investment. I gotta hear my NOB with a medium ASAP...!

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I picked one up at the NAMM show, and love it! Its a medium weight, has a great feel and sound to it. I dont do much brush playing, but it really sounds great using them on it. It may inspire me to do more practice with the brushes. I have several Blaemire and Jenkins-Martin snares, and like to set them up with different heads and wires. Im using 20 strand Canopus vintage wires with this Kentville batter head, and seems to be a perfect match! ;-)

8894EDE1-BE50-4186-8864-8B527FE3A668.jpeg

jazzerprm

Reaction score
Mendozart said:
I picked one up at the NAMM show, and love it! Its a medium weight, has a great feel and sound to it. I dont do much brush playing, but it really sounds great using them on it. It may inspire me to do more practice with the brushes. I have several Blaemire and Jenkins-Martin snares, and like to set them up with different heads and wires. Im using 20 strand Canopus vintage wires with this Kentville batter head, and seems to be a perfect match! ;-)

8894EDE1-BE50-4186-8864-8B527FE3A668.jpeg
Looks real good, I bet that sounds great. I have 20 strand Puresound on mine, hopefully itll be a good match.

jazzerprm

Reaction score
bellbrass said:
I'm thinking about trying these out myself for my practice kit at home. They would likely be impractical for a gigging kit.
According to the video these have held up extremely well for gigs too. No tuning issues etc.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just wrapped up a 4 week run of a show that I used my Craviotto snare with a Kentville head. There was a lot of brushes, and after reading what a few forum members had said about using a skin head for brushes, I figured it sounded perfect.
It was.
The weather (and humidity) varied a lot during the run. We had a blizzard opening weekend, and temps in the 80's by the 3rd weekend. The head was pretty stable; I didn't have to do a lot re-tuning during the run. I look forward to the next gig where I can use it again.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
ARGuy said:
I just wrapped up a 4 week run of a show that I used my Craviotto snare with a Kentville head. There was a lot of brushes, and after reading what a few forum members had said about using a skin head for brushes, I figured it sounded perfect.
It was.
The weather (and humidity) varied a lot during the run. We had a blizzard opening weekend, and temps in the 80's by the 3rd weekend. The head was pretty stable; I didn't have to do a lot re-tuning during the run. I look forward to the next gig where I can use it again.
Thanks for the review. I might try a set at home 1st to see if I like the sound, see how they do in the Kentucky summer humidity, then re-evaluate to see if I want a set for my gigging kit.

jazzerprm

Reaction score
I just put one of these on my old brass snare, sounds incredible. Tuned pretty low, adds wonderful warmth and much more controllable overtones, esp with rimshots. Really lovely feel to it as well, much softer than a regular plastic head. Ill post a sound file sometime, if anyone wants to hear it.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please do, I'm fascinated by these for snare batter only. It would either be on a radio king or the worldmax black dawg 61/2 that I got last week. My main concern is the humidity/ tuning ( and the Cost). though folks sound positive about that on this thread about the kentville

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We (black swamp or dynamicx) always have a Kentville head on at least one drum at shows. I can say the resistance to temperature/humidity is better than calf. Plus they feel fantastic and will make any drum sound better. Yes they cost more than a plastic head, but what drum do you spend more time playing than a snare drum? Plus the demo heads we've used over and over at shows have held up perfectly to all the people who come into the booth and smack the drum unkindly.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
The main questions I have about these heads:

What if you don't want a vintage sound? Will the thinner model have more attack, bite and slap?

I'm not interested in making my drums sound like Radio Kings (great drums but not my sound) or snares from the 20's through 60's. The main attraction of using Kangaroo skin would be the durability, to me. Tuning stability seems to be fine with them, so not an issue.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder how these compare in sound to Earthtone?