Kerope vs Agop

SaranacJack

Reaction score
I’ve been listening to a lot of Charlie Hunter featuring Carter McLean on the tubs and his Agops (it seems he has quite an assortment) sound fantastic!

A while back he featured a set of Keropes and they sounded fantastic!

But a few years later he then released another video of his Istanbul collection - a wonderful mix!

What are your thoughts on Keropes vs Agops?

I have a few Keropes (15” hats, 18” and 20”) and was looking to add a 22” but I can’t get rid of the Agop itch...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing is that the Keropes are all one line, one "flavor", while Agop makes several lines with a range of different flavors (in spite of what at least one person on here believes). So it's not quite an apt comparison. For example my current setup includes an Agop Sig and a 30th; the Sig has a cool, smooth sound, a bit icy, while the 30th has a hot, rough sound, dragon's breath. They complement each other, but they're quite different.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing is that the Keropes are all one line, one "flavor", while Agop makes several lines with a range of different flavors (in spite of what at least one person on here believes). So it's not quite an apt comparison. For example my current setup includes an Agop Sig and a 30th; the Sig has a cool, smooth sound, a bit icy, while the 30th has a hot, rough sound, dragon's breath. They complement each other, but they're quite different.
Yeah, I agree with bongomania. I had a set of Keropes, which I sold, for a bit. They were nice sounding cymbals, but I just didn't think they matched the sound in my head. I tried mixing in some Constantinoples, which helped, but I never loved the sound. Some of the Keropes had a gongy thing going on, which I don't like. I also play large crash cymbals - 19, 20, and 22- but none of the larger Keropes worked for me at all as crashes.

The Istanbul Agops sort of fit into one genre. They have several different flavors within that genre, but they are still under the same umbrella. With that, I found it easier to mix and match the lines. I currently have 30th Anniversary hats and a ride, a Signature crash, and a Traditional Dark crash. Even though they are from different lines, they seem to fit together well.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
My thought exactly. I've been playing an Agop and a Kerope and it never occurred to me to equate the two. I love the Kerope, but it strikes me as a two-trick pony--great crash and nice ride for a certain kind of ride sound. The Agop is just different. Probably Agop makes cymbals like the Kerope, but the one I play isn't.

LawrenSq

Reaction score
I've tried both of them and both are ok for me. Though Agops have their own "special power" if you know what I mean and that makes Agops best for me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the Keropes, but the bells are very integrated. And as a result, on the soft side. I still have an 18”. I prefer them as crashes more than rides.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say I've been watching a ton of Carter and Hunter this summer. I just started grad school, and the hour long concerts he posts on youtube are the best study music for me.
Same deal here, I just put them on and enjoy the soothing sounds... that's what got me thinking more about Agops and the variety he uses!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 22 Kerope, and traded with a fellow member for something else. It was a great sounding cymbal no doubt, but pretty quiet. I think it would have been super in a quiet trio setting or something like that. I have an old K that is more robust sounding than the Kerope (larger bell too).

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Yes, Expand your horizons To embrace all brands
2)...I'll think of it
What's with this "vs" thing. It's not a Monster Truck pull.
I appreciate your comment - given your experience what brands / lines do you feel lend themselves to mixing well with Keropes?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I appreciate your comment - given your experience what brands / lines do you feel lend themselves to mixing well with Keropes?
I wouldn't mix anything with Keropes. I'd want all Keropes to get the "Full- Kerope" effect. Same goes with 92% of other makes. I'd want all of one. And one for all (I made that last one up)

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Same deal here, I just put them on and enjoy the soothing sounds... that's what got me thinking more about Agops and the variety he uses!
Yeah I’ve found myself curious about those as well just because they sound so mellow but he seems to get a lot of sounds out of them. I’d go for agops over kerope if I had the money and need

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only thing that would mix with Keropes in an extreme case would be fellow old K Zildjians first, then maybe some other Avedis. But I wouldn't go (further) down this road (you already have a full set of Keropes?) Build another set with another make. that's the way it goes. It's not cheap. But you learn eventually what is purrfect for you. Then you die.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a few Keropes (15” hats, 18” and 20”) and was looking to add a 22” but I can’t get rid of the Agop itch...
See I think you're turning. On that cusp of handmade (moreso) cymbals. remember tho. There's more than Istanbul when it comes to (moreso) handmade cymbals. Be careful which you chose to bite off and chew. But you may have to go thru another (new meal..) and then off to another brand.. maybe not. depends on your age.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For that more subdued dark sound and feel, I don’t think it gets any better than the Kerope. Unless you get old Ks. Then again, I’m brand loyal to a large extent.