Kerope

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm loving it Houndog!

That's going to be peachy keen with your new Fibes bop kit! Just don't tell your rocker friends about this sudden jazz fixation, you'll be ostracized and left out in the rain!!! :blink:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait...is that matched grip?

The horror! That has to stop! Let's get authentic man! Stop playing around the edges and dive in, all in! Trad man, trad is it! Trad is now, trad is happening! You can't play a Kerope and play matched, it's like sacrilege or something!!! :icon_e_surprised:

(ok, that should draw some attention to your thread!!!) :icon_lol:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Love it! I'm a rocker (and a Paiste player), but when I joined a new band, I knew the Keropes would be perfect. So I dove in and bought 3 rides, 2 pairs of hats, and 2 crashes. Trying to sell one of the rides and hats, even though I love them. I just don't need the extras. But they are great cymbals! The stick definition is what hooked me. Enjoy!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience with Keropes, I'd say it can vary quite a bit from cymbal to cymbal. A few years ago, I played another drummer's Keropes on a few jazz gigs. I'm not sure of the sizes but I'm guessing they were a 22 and a 20. I thought they were very good, especially the 22. Fast forward a few years (last year), and I bought sight/sound unseen/heard a 19" Kerope to use for jazz as a "crash/ride." It is great... I lucked out. Absolutely love it! Then I bought a 22" to use as a lower pitched, somewhat washier ride. It came in and I thought it sounded awful. Almost all wash (and not a very nice sounding wash to my ear either) and very little stick definition. I returned it. Replaced it with one of the Philly Joe Jones rides (20") from Memphis Drum Shop. Love that one!

So it's weird... Assuming that Kerope ride I played a few years ago was a 22" (I'm pretty sure it was), the 22" I bought and returned didn't sound even remotely the same. And that's really been my experience in general with Zildjian. Don't get me wrong... I love Zildjian and have always played them. Super happy with my current set of cymbals. But I've found that I have to audition the cymbal either via a good and accurate audio recording, or in person. I don't think I would buy any more without being able to do that.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience with Keropes, I'd say it can vary quite a bit from cymbal to cymbal. A few years ago, I played another drummer's Keropes on a few jazz gigs. I'm not sure of the sizes but I'm guessing they were a 22 and a 20. I thought they were very good, especially the 22. Fast forward a few years (last year), and I bought sight/sound unseen/heard a 19" Kerope to use for jazz as a "crash/ride." It is great... I lucked out. Absolutely love it! Then I bought a 22" to use as a lower pitched, somewhat washier ride. It came in and I thought it sounded awful. Almost all wash (and not a very nice sounding wash to my ear either) and very little stick definition. I returned it. Replaced it with one of the Philly Joe Jones rides (20") from Memphis Drum Shop. Love that one!

So it's weird... Assuming that Kerope ride I played a few years ago was a 22" (I'm pretty sure it was), the 22" I bought and returned didn't sound even remotely the same. And that's really been my experience in general with Zildjian. Don't get me wrong... I love Zildjian and have always played them. Super happy with my current set of cymbals. But I've found that I have to audition the cymbal either via a good and accurate audio recording, or in person. I don't think I would buy any more without being able to do that.
Yeah , I’m a Zildjian guy . I traded in an 18” Thin A crash that I paid $25 for .
It sounded horrible to me .

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score

In Keropes line they have 2 different 22" models, and I guess it's only the weight that's different. 22" Keropes are thinner and 22" Kerope mediums are somewhat thicker.

The first one you played might have been 22" medium.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In Keropes line they have 2 different 22" models, and I guess it's only the weight that's different. 22" Keropes are thinner and 22" Kerope mediums are somewhat thicker.

The first one you played might have been 22" medium.
Good point! It very well could have been.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point! It very well could have been.
Or it may have been a thinner one. I believe the first ones they made were thinner and then later they released the mediums.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got an 18” crash that blooms like spring and would someday love to look deeper into the series should the monetary-storage-gig continuum align.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a 22” today 2510grams .
The only cymbal I own that know the weight on . I’m on my way to jazz land .
Hey, don't forget to review this cymbal for us, if you don't mind. I'm interested to know what you think of it, thanks!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use an 18” Kerope...I like it a lot. Pretty much my choice for an 18 crash (also have an Armand for something brighter). Had a 22” Kerope but traded with another member for a K Con of the same size. I wanted a bigger bell. The Kerope ride was beautiful, but my K Con has more presence, which for me was a plus.