Keyboard amplifier advice please.

Wellington53

Reaction score
Have done some searching and they say a keyboard amp is probably more suited to my electric kit, anyone out there can agree?
Thanks.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Compared to a guitar or bass amp, yes, a keyboard amp is a much better choice because of its wider frequency response that will do a better job at amplifying lows, mids, and highs. I think they were more popular in the past. Today, I'm seeing more people amplify their electronic kits with powered PA speakers or a dedicated drum amp such as the Simmons DA200S.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes to powered speakers if you don't need a mixer (although many of them can do that). I use the new JBL EON 12 inch and it is great. Super light, certainly loud enough, inexpensive.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use my Carvin bass amp, but it's 3 way with a midrange speaker and a tweeter. It sounds just fine.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In a live setting you'd plug into the PA so if you have a PA use it.

I've used an acoustic guitar amp (band leader loved this at practice), $50 used Ampex 2010 tube amp JBL speaker combo, Fearful bass cab with tweeters powered by Genz Benz head, $35 used Anchor Audio Xtreme 5500 powered PA with built in mixer. Mackie HR824 powered studio monitor which I bought for $10 because woofer had been replaced with KRK. Any of these works in moderate volume settings where a PA is not available.

So what I'm saying is that any full range PA type setup works. Many bass amps are basically PA. I wouldn't focus on a keyboard amp. Look more broadly for a good deal.

Wellington53

Reaction score
In a live setting you'd plug into the PA so if you have a PA use it.

I've used an acoustic guitar amp (band leader loved this at practice), $50 used Ampex 2010 tube amp JBL speaker combo, Fearful bass cab with tweeters powered by Genz Benz head, $35 used Anchor Audio Xtreme 5500 powered PA with built in mixer. Mackie HR824 powered studio monitor which I bought for $10 because woofer had been replaced with KRK. Any of these works in moderate volume settings where a PA is not available.

So what I'm saying is that any full range PA type setup works. Many bass amps are basically PA. I wouldn't focus on a keyboard amp. Look more broadly for a good deal.

Wellington53

Reaction score
Thank you, I've actually finished up with a B52 stealth complete with 4x10"cabinet, thing is a monster to be tamed lol!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In particular look for Anchor Audio because it is very high quality and cheap used. The single powered speaker w/mixer cited above for $35 sells for about $1200 new. I just added a two speaker setup: Anchor Audio Liberty 6000 master and 6001 slave off ebay for $67 (local pickup) which sells new for $1600.

edit - oops, I see you posted about a purchase while I was writing this

Latest posts