Keyholes, thoughts

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seeing a grommet on a cymbal , my first though would be former marching pair cymbal, not something I would like as ride or crash.
Legitimate thought. A quick look at the underside clears that up.
In the company of all the drummers around here I always think keyhole mitigation. :blackeye:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
When I see a ride cymbal with a keyhole my first thoughts are...
:icon_e_surprised: wow, that things had a lot of play time, someone really loved it, I bet it's a good one

If I try to negotiate a purchase of a key holed cymbal I'll always try get a few bucks knocked off, but deep down, my experiences tell me it's not hurting anything and certainly not affecting the sound in any way.

Some of the best cymbals I've ever played were key holed to some degree.
True dat. A keyhole has no noticeable difference in sound.
A crack however.....

YabaMTV

Reaction score
:icon_e_surprised: wow, that things had a lot of play time, someone really loved it, I bet it's a good one

If I try to negotiate a purchase of a key holed cymbal I'll always try get a few bucks knocked off, but deep down, my experiences tell me it's not hurting anything and certainly not affecting the sound in any way.

A key-holed cymbal was abused and placed metal on metal on the cymbal stand. It has been totally abused. Properly treated it should not happen. I am what some people consider a “crazy” vintage cymbal collector. I have around 300 Vintage Hand made (machines make most Cymbals these days) Paiste Cymbals. Especially my favorites which I have multiples of in various degrees of condition. I bought the beat up ones for much lower prices. Each was hand made. Each has a different tone. I can mix and match them and pair them by tone. Some are NOS. Some are key holed or damaged in some fashion; none cracked as those are what I call scrap metal. I call the beat up ones “Player Cymbals” and the nicer ones “Show” or “Collector” Cymbals.

Last edited:

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have purchased a LOT of keyholed cymbals. if it sin't too bad, open the hole up to 'round'. if it is bad, AND I really like the sound- I have put a brass grommet in the hole. ALWAYS use protection for your cymbals

kerryprance

Reaction score
I did the " brass grommet" fix to a heavily key holed heavy crash ( I think?) . sounds fine. I forgot which one it is.... I would have to go lift the felts to find out.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
What if I came up with a type of grommet that would both keep keyholing from happening and cover up the keyholing if there is any.

YabaMTV

Reaction score
What if I came up with a type of grommet that would both keep keyholing from happening and cover up the keyholing if there is any.
I think it is unnecessary. I don’t have many key holed cymbals that I have bought. I have never created one. When I use one I don’t do anything different than one without a key hole. I use a proper stand in excellent condition. If the stand is broken or doesn’t have all the parts including the plastic or rubber sleeve to protect the cymbal them I don’t put my cymbal on the stand. If it is a rented space and the owner doesn’t want to take care of their gear then I put his/her cymbals on that broken stand that day. I either never go back or I bring my own stands the next time if I have to go back.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I usually feel the same, especially if I'm buying the cymbal from someone I know can really play. I figure whether they've played it long enough to keyhole it themselves, or they bought it that way despite the damage, it's probably a great sounding cymbal!

I recently bought this older 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Jazz Ride that has some slight keyholing. I got a few dollars knocked off of the price because of it, and it's now my main ride/favorite cymbal!

IMG_20200616_222617.jpg

Ang

Reaction score
I played a pair of 14” K Custom Dark HiHats for years in several bands and always had a plastic base on my stand. When I took them off I couldn’t believe the offset and warped hole in the bottom cymbal. The top was cymbal’s mounting hole was fine, even though I always used a metal clutch. No cracks just worn out smoothly. They also had razor sharp edges on both top and bottom.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite cymbal has one of those long keyholes that you know was filed because the original owner had a stand with no tilter. I just installed a brass grommet and have loved it ever since! The cymbal felt covers both the keyhole and the grommet.