Keystone Badge Acro restoration

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Back in the late aughts, I wanted an Acro. So I started by rescuing a keystone badge Acro from one of the drum strippers on ebay. Paid $65 for it and it was pretty badly scratched. Put it away and in the last 8 years or so I got serious about acquiring the rest of the parts. Got the vintage snare side hoop and what I think to be period correct batter rim. Got the vintage tension rods and imperial lugs, Ditto the snare butt and an expensive B/B muffler with the white muff. Then I started looking for a strainer. I thought about the P83 but decided on a new P85. Ordered one from DCP last year. Over the last couple months I buffed off as many scratches as I could and gave the shell a good polishing. It's not perfect by any means but the shell does ring like a bell when you thump it. So put all the gear on and while I was trying to get the strainer on I noticed something wasn't right. The strainer has a short steel plug on the handle that is critical to holding the handle to move the strainer up and down. See pics. It had fallen out and I have no idea what holds this plug in place. Long story short the strainer is really kind of junky and I unless I can fix this will probably discard and go get something else. The drum does sound amazing though and I got some Ludwig new vintage 18 strand wires to try with it. So want to get on with getting the strainer issue fixed. Here's some pics of the drum and the offending strainer and plug. I'd appreciate any comments of ideas. Thanks for listening.

Attachments

Last edited:

feelyat

Reaction score
I think you want one of these.

1620817554063.jpeg

It’s called an e-clip or ring clip, and sits in a groove in that short connecting shaft. If memory serves, there’s also a saddle-shaped spring washer in there to keep it all tight, though that stuff varies by era of P-85. You might be able to find those parts at a good hardware store, but I'm not sure what size they are, or if the ones on the strainer have some sort of unusual specification.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its either a crimped end or a circlip on the back of the stud. I'd probably just look for a new p-83 or 85 replacement. Snare looks great, nice job

Ha! Feelyat same time post!

feelyat

Reaction score
Actually, looking at your pictures again, I'm not sure the clip is the part you need.

Here's a picture of the back of a P85 (not mine). The red circle shows the clip I was talking about, but the green circle shows what appears to be off in your pictures. I've never seen one come apart at that joint. That might be a manufacturing defect. If you bought it new from DCP, maybe call them and ask for a replacement.

p85-back.jpg

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score

View attachment 499489
It’s called an e-clip or ring clip, and sits in a groove in that short connecting shaft. If memory serves, there’s also a saddle-shaped spring washer in there to keep it all tight, though that stuff varies by era of P-85. You might be able to find those parts at a good hardware store, but I'm not sure what size they are, or if the ones on the strainer have some sort of unusual specification.
Thank you! I will go to the hardware section.

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Actually, looking at your pictures again, I'm not sure the clip is the part you need.

Here's a picture of the back of a P85 (not mine). The red circle shows the clip I was talking about, but the green circle shows what appears to be off in your pictures. I've never seen one come apart at that joint. That might be a manufacturing defect. If you bought it new from DCP, maybe call them and ask for a replacement.

View attachment 499501
Thanks for that pic. I will be removing the strainer, and compare it to your pic. I bought the strainer over a year ago so I doubt DCP will do anything for me. But it never hurts to ask.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The c-clip circled in red in the above photo can be found at Ace Hardware. They have all sizes, just take your strainer in. Home Depot and Lowe's might, depending on who their hardware supplier is and whether they have restocked since 1776.

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that pic. I will be removing the strainer, and compare it to your pic. I bought the strainer over a year ago so I doubt DCP will do anything for me. But it never hurts to ask.
You are dead on feelyat. It is the one circled in green. And, I've discovered that I did not get the strainer at DCP. I ordered everything else from them but went elsewhere for the strainer. I will figure that one out and see what happens. Thank you for your detail in your post!

patrickwitherow

Reaction score

View attachment 499489
Yes, I had to install one of these on my '65 Acrolite strainer a few months ago. I found a pack of them at Harbor Freight in various sizes.