header.nohb.html

Keystone vs. Blue-Olive

topher465

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, which do you prefer? I've always been much more of a fan of the b/o. I like the size of it vs. the tiny, often crooked and dirty looking keystone badges.

JBernie

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the B/O badge! That was "THE" Ludwig of my youth growing up playing in the 70's and early 80's. So I emotionally connect with the B/O badge. But the large Keystone badge on my newer Ludwig Classic Maple kit is starting to grow on me after owning the kit for 5-6 years now.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've got plenty of b/o snares, but not one single kit. How i don't know. i"ve got two 70's kits but one is a Vistalite combo and the other an Educator set. I like both b/o and keystone badges personally.

Mike

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think visually I prefer the B/O badge. I also prefer the sound of early 70s B/O drums. Go figure :laughing6:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always thought the B/O badge looked cheesy, but I grew up in the 60s. Makes no sense to have those two random colors on every drum, regardless of the color of the drum. Never liked the look of curved spurs either. KB looks classy, but not the large ones from the 90s. And while we're at it, the Ludwig script logo also warms my heart.

Slightly OT - I feel the same way about a blue Ford badge on every Ford regardless of the car color.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I strongly prefer the keystone. Seems more timeless to me, and goes with any finish.

M

Mo Tonkie

I prefer the Blue/Olive badges. The others are kinda nondescript. I wish my newer Ludwig snares had the B/O badges. Have you seen a Black Beauty with a B/O badge? It looks kickass.
I also prefer the newer Ludwig logo from the 70s in most cases.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both. I actually have a 1969 set with both badges represented - B&O on the floor tom and KS on the bass and 8x12. Yes it came that way from the factory.

wallydellenbach

Reaction score
From a machinist / tool designer point of view.....nothing beats a 1960's brass stamped badge. I'm guessing it was a progressive stamping machine that made these Keystone badges. There's something about the patina on the brass that says quality. But.....The B/O badge represents a Chicago drum dynasty where a lot of big name drummers, even Buddy Rich, tossed lumber. No matter where the drum is....if I see that B/O badge, I will stop to take a look see. Large Keystone Badges....As long as it reads: Chicago. As for the newer stuff. . . .I'll leave that up to the younger generation.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keystone for me, it goes with the whole art deco style of the lugs etc. I love the art deco aesthetic. I also love the more curvy Premier version of art deco!

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As others have said, I to like the b/o though there is a strange anomaly concerning mine and possibly others. If I use the kit with the two mounted TT, the badges face me not the audience. Not a colossal big deal but I've seen other 5 peice sets from that era ( 70-72 ) where the badges were applied so they were facing out. I suppose, as was suggested with the not so structured placement of the key stone badges, the crafts person decided to place them where ever. I just find that to be a little odd.

Attachments

• drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 29

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I like them both pretty equally but I might have to pick keystone if it came down to a choice. I like both logo's as well. I went with B/O badges on my classic maple set because in 2012 they were still using the large keystone badge and I wanted a vintage vibe more. While I can't complain as they set has been great, I have to say that I am really liking the recycled trumpet badges. If those had been available I probably would have gone with those. I'm still very happy with my choice though and some of my earliest Ludwig memories come from guys like Alex Van Halen and John Bonham with sets that had B/O badges.

Of course my first set that I got in June of 1983 when I was 12 was a gretch but the snare is a 1966 supra and that really kicked off my love affair with the supra. Just a timeless drum in my opinion and they sound great from any era new and old.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
KEYSTONE...my 1st real/new kit was a B/O set and it might be the reason I've only bought 1 other new kit...it was really not very good (circa 79). Its still alive...sold it to a guitarist friend.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I know if I find a B/O badged 3-ply kit, it most likely will sound great and have good build quality. Although I prefer the look of the keystone, some of those drums built in the mid-60s are just god awful, probably the worst ever quality control of any American manufacturer save Kent. Putty in the gaps between the shell and re-rings, that god awful bump, shoddily applied interior paint, etc., etc., etc. The 50s WFL drums and the 70s B/O 3 plys were, IMO, the finest drums Ludwig ever made.

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Keystone badge, but the 70's block logo on the bass drum looks somehow retro-sci-fi and I dig it. The script logo looks a little too 'old fashioned' to me, at least from a design standpoint. Only my opinion!

And not to hijack, but I really dig how quality the new Legacy Keystone looks! The thick one, not the flat one.

Attachments

• ludwig-classic-maple-big-beat-golden-slumbers-sale-2.jpg
    ludwig-classic-maple-big-beat-golden-slumbers-sale-2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 392

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Keystone for it's history & iconic place in drum history, but the b/o is just sooooo easily identifiable. Never had a kit (or even just a snare) w/the b/o until I got my re-issue Vistalites in 2011. Blue/Olive is standard on 'em. Still would have bought 'em w/a Keystone, but the b/o just made it all the more sweeter!