Kick It! New Book on Drum set Evolution

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this new book on Amazon that was published last February. "Kick It: A Social History of the Drum Kit" somehow passed under my radar despite my being at home and on the computer all the time from March to July. Of course I have it ordered now, coming day after tomorrow.

Anyone here already have a copy? Looks interesting. I have high hopes but you never know. Sometimes books of this type are simply a published master thesis and read as dry as overcooked turkey. The reviews sound good though. I guess either way I "need" it on the shelf. I've been burned before. I anticipated the book "Crash" for months and was so happy to see my 6 month old pre-order finally shipped only to be totally underwhelmed by the number of textual errors in the thing once I had it in my hands (although the pictures are pretty). Hopefully this book will be better. I always bemoan the dearth of books about drums compared to the shelf after shelf of books available about guitars.

Anyway, just passing it along in case anyone else is interested. I'll likely post my thoughts once I get to read it. I'm hopeful it will be worth the thirty bucks. Having Art on the cover is a good sign....

412rNGzLO0L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, for a recently published book, the cover design looks like something from the groovy 60s!

I'll check it out. I wonder if it's on Kindle?

I'm almost through Ed Shaughnessy's book, Lucky Drummer, and I'm finding his short stories fascinating and entertaining. Sounds like a great guy that thoroughly enjoyed his life and times as a drummer.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny, for a recently published book, the cover design looks like something from the groovy 60s!

I'll check it out. I wonder if it's on Kindle?

I'm almost through Ed Shaughnessy's book, Lucky Drummer, and I'm finding his short stories fascinating and entertaining. Sounds like a great guy that thoroughly enjoyed his life and times as a drummer.
Lucky Drummer is a good read. I was fortunate enough to have Ed sign my copy at the Chicago Drum Show when it was first published.

richardh253

Reaction score
Yes, I bought a copy and read it. Worthwhile. Leans a little academic rather than popular or "gearhead" but makes a really good case for how the drumset is quintessential "American" and in some ways sits in the heart of uniquely American jazz. Also good stuff about the the jazz greats, evolution and trends about kits, sizes, cymbals, hardware; the 60s revolution, and beyond. I think there's a recent mini review in Drumhead magazine

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, I bought a copy and read it. Worthwhile. Leans a little academic rather than popular or "gearhead" but makes a really good case for how the drumset is quintessential "American" and in some ways sits in the heart of uniquely American jazz. Also good stuff about the the jazz greats, evolution and trends about kits, sizes, cymbals, hardware; the 60s revolution, and beyond. I think there's a recent mini review in Drumhead magazine
Sounds like my kind of book. My copy shows up tomorrow according to Amazon.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a copy! Really looking forward to reading it.
You'll enjoy this book. It brought me back to those great Tonight Show days with Johnny Carson, when America was a simpler and more fun place to live. We knew how to laugh, have fun and just live and Ed brings that out through his stories. We could use some Johnny Carson these days...:-(

I found Kick It on Kindle and after reading through the introduction, I can tell this is well researched and should make for an interesting read.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Got my copy of Kick It yesterday. Haven't read any of it as yet but from a quick perusal it looks like it contains a lot of information. Hoping to start reading it later this week.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
You'll enjoy this book. It brought me back to those great Tonight Show days with Johnny Carson, when America was a simpler and more fun place to live. We knew how to laugh, have fun and just live and Ed brings that out through his stories. We could use some Johnny Carson these days...:-(

I found Kick It on Kindle and after reading through the introduction, I can tell this is well researched and should make for an interesting read.

Thanks Jimmy! Yes, I'm really looking forward to it, I read the sample pages and I know I'm going to enjoy it. And youre 100% right about those days. People knew how to laugh and knew when a joke was a joke, and didnt cause hysteria every 11 minutes over someones comments.
Consider this:Things are so hysterical today, that if Johnny Carson were on TV today, he'd be forced off.

Last edited: