Kick reso head. Single ply vs EQ3

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
22" Kick drum. Going for a classic "thud" and dead sound.
Batter has been always eq3/emad.

I have been using basically a single ply (ambassador type) logo head until now.
Was wondering if switching to Evans EQ3 Reso coated head (with vent hole) would make any improvement in tone control...etc.

Anyone?

Attachments

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have that reso head but mine is the unported version and I used it with a regular clear emad. It was nice but I’ve been more into Remo lately. Most of my favorite drummers use Remo and they do have a more natural sound/feel. Maybe it’s because most of what I’ve played/heard in my life is Remo. Familiarity.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
22" Kick drum. Going for a classic "thud" and dead sound.
Batter has been always eq3/emad.

I have been using basically a single ply (ambassador type) logo head until now.
Was wondering if switching to Evans EQ3 Reso coated head (with vent hole) would make any improvement in tone control...etc.

Anyone?
Sounds like it will probably give you what you're looking for. EQ3 Resos do one thing, but they do it well and are very easy to dial in.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't news to you but someone should mention it so it might as well be me.... Which is that another option of course is just some muffling of your own inside the drum. The dreaded-by-some "laundry," which actually gives you tons of flexibility over a pre-muffled reso (or batter for that matter). From deaden the crap out of it to all the way open with one shift of a towel.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't news to you but someone should mention it so it might as well be me.... Which is that another option of course is just some muffling of your own inside the drum. The dreaded-by-some "laundry," which actually gives you tons of flexibility over a pre-muffled reso (or batter for that matter). From deaden the crap out of it to all the way open with one shift of a towel.
Even some of the best in the world put stuff in their kick…Vinnie, Gadd, etc. There’s no shame in it :)

Masecar

Reaction score
Do you have any recorded samples of that classic thud? I'd almost be willing to be that it was done without a front head at all.

At least, that's the quickest way I've found to get that classic thuddy kick sound. Remove the front head, stuff it with a decently large blanket or towel, and stick an RE20 or a D12 in there.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input.

Putting "more stuff" inside my kick isn't my ideal direction. I have just enough muffling inside the kick.
Certainly I am not going for open tone, nor the deadest sound.

Just wanted to know the difference between 1ply ambassador type reso vs. EQ3 reso with port hole, if it's worth spending $30+ for one.

If one or the other offers wider range of getting tone, I'd prefer going for it.
If it doesn't, I am saving money :D

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have any recorded samples of that classic thud? I'd almost be willing to be that it was done without a front head at all.

At least, that's the quickest way I've found to get that classic thuddy kick sound. Remove the front head, stuff it with a decently large blanket or towel, and stick an RE20 or a D12 in there.
Well, I guess "Classic Thud" is meant different to one another. Maybe I shouldn't have used "thud" there.
22" Kick, Emad on batter, DW "pillow" muffle, touching gently on both sides, current reso is ambassador logo head with port on side. Tuning is slightly above finger-tightning stage for batter. Reso head is little tighter. I am going for nice balance between attack and depth and so far it does it for me.

You will have an idea what it sound like.

Just wondering if eq3 will make any improvement or not being little thicker than ambassador.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say if you have that DW pillow in there(which can sound great in kicks) you don’t need anything thicker than the ambassador. Do whatever you want with the batter side. If it were me I’d probably do a powerstroke 3 or single ply Emad because I like the drum to breathe a little bit. I actually have one of those Emad heavyweight heads and that sounds pretty cool too.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On my Mach 5/6 kit, I have Evans EQ3 clears on both batters, and Remo PS3 smooth white resos, no holes, wide open, ultra low tuning, and they "thud!" There is still some resonance, but the overtone series is diminished.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remember, you can always create more attack by adding a hole in the reso and one of those kick pads like the Remo falam patch on your batter head.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Clear single ply EMAD batter with a EQ3 ported reso is a great combo for pop and rock. I've had good results using those with a Evans pillow in the drum and also wide open.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you changed your beater? I'm always surprised at how many folks use the same beater on a pedal while buying head combinations to try to obtain a: different, fuller, rounder, deader, boomier, whatever? tone. There's a reason why there are wood, felt, leather, wool, flat, round, oblong, hammer, fluffy beaters on the market. They can change your sound much quicker than head combinations. And maybe even more cost effective at times.