Kind of OT but streaming services. Which do you use how and why.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of music in ITunes. A lot of it loaded from my CD collection and albums. For finding newer music I have been using Spotify. The user interface is pretty good but I really don’t like how little respect they seem to have for the artists. A friend told me about Bandcamp and they seem to have a better relationship with the artists but the interface seems clunky to me. Plus I don’t want my music spread out over 3 services. Anyone have any great insight on streaming services that are great to use and support ethical treatment of the artists?

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been an iTunes user sincd my teens.

For streaming I went to Spotify tears ago.

Until my buddy let me hear the difference in quality of Apple Music.

Really night and day.

So Im contemplating to move the whole family “back” to Apple.

Also because you can stream your complete offline library, which means alot of music that never has been released on Spotify or even Apple Music.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a high-quality option in Spotify, and that has been good enough for me to discover new music. I'm in the habit of buying the records I like, which tempers my moral misgivings about subscribing. Bandcamp is less about streaming a catalogue than purchasing downloads: you won't find your favorite old music on there, but that is where all the best new independent music can be bought, and you should upload your own stuff to sell it, because Bandcamp is great for artists.

My early experience with Apple Music was terrible; I hated the way it messed with my large iTunes library. Perhaps things have changed.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just personal taste, but I like Pandora -- especially the function to plug in my favorite band, like Norwegian "black & roll" kings Kvelertak and select "Kvelertak radio" to hear the selected band and related music in an endless stream.

I also subscribe to Apple Music, but find its curated content lacking... Tried Spotify (non-subscription), but moved back to Pandora (which also works for me better streaming via the cellular network vs. Wifi).

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
currently subscribed to Spotify Family which is $16/month, I was on there every night from last spring until it got cold this winter. I'd sit on the back porch nearly every night with a cold one and listen to an album or a mix, but in the last two or three months I haven't been on at all so wasted money. Thinking about getting rid of it and using the money saved to download what I want which would be an album or two per month. Could get rid of Sirius and my website and there'd be another $25 I could download.

Slight OT but does Amazon give a fair share to artists for digital downloads?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bandcamp is the only streaming service I'll use. You can stream up to a point and then you'll be asked to purchase. It does not however work like the other "radio station" models. With BC, you stream one artist and title at a time. The interface is actually simple and its the only service paying a decent share to the artist by far.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bandcamp is the only streaming service I'll use. You can stream up to a point and then you'll be asked to purchase. It does not however work like the other "radio station" models. With BC, you stream one artist and title at a time. The interface is actually simple and its the only service paying a decent share to the artist by far.
When you purchase from Bandcamp I am guessing there is no way to load those purchases into your iTunes for playback? I like the idea of purchasing individual music vs streaming but not sure how to listen to it mixed in with my other music. It might not be possible. thanks

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When you purchase from Bandcamp I am guessing there is no way to load those purchases into your iTunes for playback? I like the idea of purchasing individual music vs streaming but not sure how to listen to it mixed in with my other music. It might not be possible. thanks
You'd have to check that. I don't use iTunes, so when I purchase a CD or a download from BC it immediately loads it to my BC list which I access from an app. I also had music on Google Play for a bit, but that got moved to YouTube music so I have music on 2 platforms. A little bit of a pain, but I can't be bothered to try to move it all in one place. Either way I have quick access to everything.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I was using Google Play Music until they shut that down last year. That was great for the radio feature plus I could upload 50k songs from my own collection. The instant mix feature was great.

I've been using Plex Media Server on my computer to watch movies/shows on my TV, phone, and tablet so I decided to go all-in and add my music library. Pros include full control over artwork, naming, organization, and the sound quality. Cons include hosting it myself so if I have computer issues I don't have access to my collection. I leave my computer on all the time anyway so that's not a big deal. So far it's been great and it's similar to back in the early computer days of organizing your collection, but with the added bonus of streaming to any device. The Android (and I believe iPhone) app Plexamp has been great too. I love the gapless playback and the UI is really nice. Only downside is you need a Plex Pass, which is only $5/month or I got a lifetime pass when it was on sale, for about $70. The regular Plex app is free to use, though.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you download the file it can be in almost any format you want and any app that still plays audio files (iTunes/Music still do) can play it. You have the option to stream on the Bandcamp app but download it their focus.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been an iTunes user sincd my teens.

For streaming I went to Spotify tears ago.

Until my buddy let me hear the difference in quality of Apple Music.

Really night and day.

So Im contemplating to move the whole family “back” to Apple.

Also because you can stream your complete offline library, which means alot of music that never has been released on Spotify or even Apple Music.

Apple Music also pays artists about 2x what Spotify does.

I've used Apple Music since the beginning. First party integration with all of my devices, personal library treated as equivalent to Apple library, and better deal for artists.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had Itunes forever. But I will NOT pay them for access to "itunes music" or whatever it is. I was a DJ for over 25 years, I have a crap ton of music. I just can't bring myself to pay for it through a streaming service. I listen to Amazon Music, the free stuff. Which is a ton of music. To me, streaming means "new music". I'm sure it's not for many. But like I said, I have a ton of tunes already. It's just not necessary for a person like me.

For me, I just don't want to lose what's on my iPod. I have over 140gbs on my Classic and it needs a new battery. I'm not looking forward to doing that.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Spotify actually did a lot of artist bogus. Instead of contracting a deal with them they went behind hide there backs to the label and struck a deal so the artist gets very little money. Billy corgan from smashing pumpkins talks about it when he did joe Rogans podcast.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon prime includes Amazon music. I pay extra for Amazon music unlimited. With the unlimited service you've got pretty much every song ever made. And it's pretty cheap.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon prime includes Amazon music. I pay extra for Amazon music unlimited. With the unlimited service you've got pretty much every song ever made. And it's pretty cheap.
And Alexa ( or whatever you may call her/him) being your personal Dj is worth every penny

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Spotify because it is easy to use for me. We have the family plan. If I like an artist enough then I will buy their music.

Bandcamp is good for selling music but I don't think you can stream like you can with other services. Also, even if you buy an artist's album on Bandcamp you can still lose it if the artist takes it down (if you didn't download it beforehand).

I've heard good things about Apple Music but I haven't used it even though our computer ecosystem is Apple.

For a while, I used Google Music to upload and stream my music anywhere. It was pretty good. It is now YouTube Music which you have to pay for.