Kinda O.T.: How hard is it to sell romantic angst past a certain age

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I say this in the writing of song lyrics. I am a firmly middle-aged man. A friend of mine just became single a few months back. Let’s say he hasn’t been in the scene for awhile. Now he is back, and he feels every bit as giddy, nerdy and angsty as he did when we were in high school 30 plus years ago.

I admit, this is actually triggering some creativity for me as a lyricist. BIG TIME creativity. There is a woman he is in head over heels BIG TIME, who is playing little games with him. It seems harmless enough. It’s cat and mouse. It’s kinda weird, but kinda not. He calls me toget advice. I would 100% be in the same boat if I became single.

I am working out something in the lyrics where he can’t believe she took him back to the age of sixteen and has no wisdom about it. Blah blah blah. LOL

Would this be too hard to sell? I haven’t had this type of creative spark for lyrics in quite awhile.

I just hope this doesn’t go over like Rush’s song about going bald....

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't be hard to sell.
Go for it.
If you need inspiration for what he's
about to go thru:
Flush money down the toilet and then
hit yourself with a hammer.
He already went through that LOL

This woman is eight years his senior and managed to drag out buried teenage angst!

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Just recently single" key words right there. Men are slaves to the .......

I don't know about writing tunes. But, man that simp laden bro country my GF listens to is horrible

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this age, what you're talking about it's what folks at this age dream of but it's a flash in the pan.

Then reality hits, flab, hemorrhoids, yellow toenails, missing teeth. It's a flash but I do think it could sell. Two ways, just on the surface for what it is - "hey, we're 16 again and it's never going to end" or "we're pretending we're 16 but we have to go back to reality at some point".

The latter being the better option for anything long term.

And I don't know, from a selling point. I think a lot of people unfortunately in this culture want to live in this unrealistic world for a number of reasons. So I don't insert my opinions on this part because I'm more of a realist than many. Longer term thinker, what I think doesn't equate to selling to many markets in a real way and I get it. I'm unusual in some respects and I'm at peace with that.

The "I think I'm going bald" happened to me 20 years ago. I never went bald but I thinned a lot. Shifted gears and moved on.

Lots of underlying story lines with this, kind of fascinating.

Good luck with this brother, keep us posted.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At this age, what you're talking about it's what folks at this age dream of but it's a flash in the pan.

Then reality hits, flab, hemorrhoids, yellow toenails, missing teeth. It's a flash but I do think it could sell. Two ways, just on the surface for what it is - "hey, we're 16 again and it's never going to end" or "we're pretending we're 16 but we have to go back to reality at some point".

The latter being the better option for anything long term.

And I don't know, from a selling point. I think a lot of people unfortunately in this culture want to live in this unrealistic world for a number of reasons. So I don't insert my opinions on this part because I'm more of a realist than many. Longer term thinker, what I think doesn't equate to selling to many markets in a real way and I get it. I'm unusual in some respects and I'm at peace with that.

The "I think I'm going bald" happened to me 20 years ago. I never went bald but I thinned a lot. Shifted gears and moved on.

Lots of underlying story lines with this, kind of fascinating.

Good luck with this brother, keep us posted.
It’s so weird. He started asking me to help with a work out program. He isn’t liking that I told him the first thing that goes is beer... Seriously, though- it’s like he is turning into someone else.

His ex left him for an older richer man. OUCH! I just hope he snaps out of this, though again- new song material! Just hope I don’t make him sound like an idiot in the lyrics...

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s so weird. He started asking me to help with a work out program. He isn’t liking that I told him the first thing that goes is beer... Seriously, though- it’s like he is turning into someone else.

His ex left him for an older richer man. OUCH! I just hope he snaps out of this, though again- new song material! Just hope I don’t make him sound like an idiot in the lyrics...
I can't write it here but that re-entry into...

It's the stuff of good material that sells. Not to me so much, I don't care about it at this point in my life but I get it.

Write me a tune about laying sod in my yard in a humorous way and I'm all over it. After that the bass line better be good.

:p

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how most of our songs are like that, I want you- don't you want me, the Sun shines out your behind, why you treat me bad, etc etc. It works. Just go to a bar full of middle aged people and listen to what plays on the jukebox. It is mostly singles who come out anyway. I am super proud of our growing base of empty nesters. And nobody parties as hardy as our generation still does.
We do have some more grown up songs too though, and don't forget drinking songs

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Hey Dumpy,

See if you can get in touch with Jon Bon Jovi, he's been selling romantic angst for over 35 years and he's happily married so he should be able to help you.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, come on man. Run it by us.

Laying sod for his Honey,
So she'd better treat him right.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At age 48 I had a major stroke. My wife for thirteen years didn't bother to come to the hospital, but she did check on my life insurance...

I separated from her shortly after leaving the hospital. Divorce proceedings started shortly after, with her going after me in full scorched earth mode. What a wonderful thing to deal with while recovering from a stroke. If a love song came on in the car, I punched the radio to shut it off.

A few months later I decided to reenter the dating pool. I can't tell you on a family site like this how much fun I had. And then I fell in love again...

I flew out to Denver to help a friend and his wife pack two 26 foot trucks and drive them to Harrisburg, while towing cars. I was gone six days and the whole time that I was gone I couldn't stop thinking about one of the women that I had been dating. When I got back home I quit seeing anyone else. We've been together thirteen years, and we are still crazy about each other.

It could be argued that having a major stroke was the best thing that ever happened to me.

There, I gave you more mid-life romance fodder.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the lyrics and Listen to The Cars for what you're after. Ocasek had more than a handful of awkward mismatch relationship lyrics that could fit many botched romances like your friend is about to get into!

He was married to Paulina Porizkova fer cryin' out loud (!) and it didn't end well.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At age 48 I had a major stroke. My wife for thirteen years didn't bother to come to the hospital, but she did check on my life insurance...

I separated from her shortly after leaving the hospital. Divorce proceedings started shortly after, with her going after me in full scorched earth mode. What a wonderful thing to deal with while recovering from a stroke. If a love song came on in the car, I punched the radio to shut it off.

A few months later I decided to reenter the dating pool. I can't tell you on a family site like this how much fun I had. And then I fell in love again...

I flew out to Denver to help a friend and his wife pack two 26 foot trucks and drive them to Harrisburg, while towing cars. I was gone six days and the whole time that I was gone I couldn't stop thinking about one of the women that I had been dating. When I got back home I quit seeing anyone else. We've been together thirteen years, and we are still crazy about each other.

It could be argued that having a major stroke was the best thing that ever happened to me.

There, I gave you more mid-life romance fodder.
I hate that you had a stroke and your then wife was heartless about it, but I am happy as heck you fell in love again! Good onya!

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you're asking...
will a love song about a 48 year old in love sell? Probably not but if you leave out the age...yes...if its good.

I was divorced two years ago (54)....I've been on more 1st dates than I've ever been in my life...not so many 2nds but...I'm enjoying not having to answer to anyone and getting to spend my money (what's left after alimony...) as i see fit...

During my long drawn out divorce I had a crush on a woman I did ask out (only to find out she likes bad boys...the one thing I could never be)....but she mused some great lyrics and we're on good terms...it wasn't cat and mouse...it was more like moth and flood light....

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love has no expiration date and a good song is a good song. If you're a lyricist, see this as a challenge.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you're asking...
will a love song about a 48 year old in love sell? Probably not but if you leave out the age...yes...if its good.

I was divorced two years ago (54)....I've been on more 1st dates than I've ever been in my life...not so many 2nds but...I'm enjoying not having to answer to anyone and getting to spend my money (what's left after alimony...) as i see fit...

During my long drawn out divorce I had a crush on a woman I did ask out (only to find out she likes bad boys...the one thing I could never be)....but she mused some great lyrics and we're on good terms...it wasn't cat and mouse...it was more like moth and flood light....
The love situation songs have subject matter than be different than the sheer angst of young love with raw emotion and drama, though this friend of mine said to me “how did this woman make me refer to her as a ‘girl’ and I feel just as clueless as I did in 1988?” That became a thread, needless to say.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love has no expiration date and a good song is a good song. If you're a lyricist, see this as a challenge.
That’s it. I want the angst to feel real, yet sellable by a man my age. I am living through him vicariously at this point and the angst is real. I was told by a few not to include “I didn’t mind what I saw after the Spanx came off”, though she brought that up! My friends are silly!

Last edited: