Kinda O.T.: How hard is it to sell romantic angst past a certain age

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I say this in the writing of song lyrics. I am a firmly middle-aged man. A friend of mine just became single a few months back. Let’s say he hasn’t been in the scene for awhile. Now he is back, and he feels every bit as giddy, nerdy and angsty as he did when we were in high school 30 plus years ago.

I admit, this is actually triggering some creativity for me as a lyricist. BIG TIME creativity. There is a woman he is in head over heels BIG TIME, who is playing little games with him. It seems harmless enough. It’s cat and mouse. It’s kinda weird, but kinda not. He calls me toget advice. I would 100% be in the same boat if I became single.

I am working out something in the lyrics where he can’t believe she took him back to the age of sixteen and has no wisdom about it. Blah blah blah. LOL

Would this be too hard to sell? I haven’t had this type of creative spark for lyrics in quite awhile.

I just hope this doesn’t go over like Rush’s song about going bald....
NOT HARD AT ALL!

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not the age of the person writing the lyrics, it’s how descriptive the lyrics are to convey the feeling to others that makes the difference. If you are going to write about ‘building a ladder to the stars to take one down for another person’ you have to be feeling or have felt the same thing along the journey. Go for it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard it said you can only really write 4 songs:
I love you
I hate you
Go away
Come back
You're list seems to leave out "Revolution," every Rage Against the Machine song and the entire catalogue of Pink Floyd. Oh, and most Rap.

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At age 48 I had a major stroke. My wife for thirteen years didn't bother to come to the hospital, but she did check on my life insurance...

I separated from her shortly after leaving the hospital. Divorce proceedings started shortly after, with her going after me in full scorched earth mode. What a wonderful thing to deal with while recovering from a stroke. If a love song came on in the car, I punched the radio to shut it off.

A few months later I decided to reenter the dating pool. I can't tell you on a family site like this how much fun I had. And then I fell in love again...

I flew out to Denver to help a friend and his wife pack two 26 foot trucks and drive them to Harrisburg, while towing cars. I was gone six days and the whole time that I was gone I couldn't stop thinking about one of the women that I had been dating. When I got back home I quit seeing anyone else. We've been together thirteen years, and we are still crazy about each other.

It could be argued that having a major stroke was the best thing that ever happened to me.

There, I gave you more mid-life romance fodder.
Unfortunately this is modern day women they only love you for what you can provide you had a stroke you can no longer provide she leaves

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is modern day women they only love you for what you can provide you had a stroke you can no longer provide she leaves
That is true of the ex.

My current wife is all about caring for others. She is a hospice volunteer, animal rescue volunteer, and is the type of person whom people all when they need help. She is an angel.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If Steve Perry still writes about love in which almost every song he's ever sang has the word "love" in it, anyone can write about anything. I do admit though writing an entire song about going bald sounds sort of ridiculous.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If Steve Perry still writes about love in which almost every song he's ever sang has the word "love" in it, anyone can write about anything. I do admit though writing an entire song about going bald sounds sort of ridiculous.
Baldness is part of life for a good portion of men at some point in life, but there is nothing song-worthy about it. Writing a song about dying (or thinking you may die) is more romantic than a song about the pain your ostomy bag is causing to your skin, though from personal experience, I will argue that the skin irritation an ostomy bag can cause is pretty severe. But again- baldness is a body function and nobody cares to hear about it :)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some of the best love songs in history have been written by people of a certain age. The longing for closeness, for togetherness is universal and doesn't vanish once you get older. It all depends on the overall tone of the lyrics and the angle of approach. A dude in his 50's singin about love in a Beverly Hills 90210-style teenage drama kinda way might get uber cringey in a heartbeat.

The sort of love you can express to someone you've shared half a lifetime with, although different than the all-consumming fiery passion of youthful love, can be just as moving and powerful, if not more so when laid down with heartfelt and crafty words.

The "feeling youthful again" angle when you find someone new after a messy breakup/divorce/separation, is also universal and if handled correctly can work very well for people of any age.

The "pining over someone I can't have" is another one that, if well written, could suit pretty much anybody.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
If singing about one's "wet ass pussy" can rocket to the top of the charts, I'd say you have a good shot at something popular.